• dummy
    replied
    And still nothing about XRandR 1.2 or 1.3

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Right from the Doom 3 FAQ:

I might also add that that capability only came well after it's release and the notes originally read:

Do not send me reports about the game not working on ATI card. Either with fglrx driver or the DRI driver. We know about this already, and at this point there is nothing we can do."

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied

changelog

Changes since 190.16:
    • Fixed an initialization problem on some mobile GPUs.
    • Worked around X.Org X server Bugzilla bug #22804. This bug allows X clients to send invalid XGetImage requests to the hardware, leading to screen corruption or hangs. This was most commonly triggered by running JDownloader in KDE 4.
    • Fixed a crash in nvidia-settings displaying GPU information when in Xinerama.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by mirv View Post
    Ok, you're turning this into an attack on open source (which, btw, was not in my original statement - it was simply that the drivers I used were open source...mostly).
    And by the time doom3 came out, I was using firegl (ran fine, btw).
    Nvidia's "latest support" for opengl is extensions to their own driver - manufacturer specific, not newer versions of opengl. Other companies do this as well.
    And I did try maya - yep, it ran. Wine ran with milkshape3d under linux and r200 drivers. So if you want to keep attacking that, go ahead, but I'll no longer respond. This is way off topic, and all I originally intended was to correct something (that other companies have had linux support for quite some time too).
    Sorry at that snapshot of time, you could not run doom 3 off the opensource drivers. It took a long time for mesa to finally achieve the ogl level required to run it. Same with Maya. If you want to run something months or even years later after the application that requires a higher release of ogl then you may sit with the foss drivers. Just for example apps that required ogl 2.1 support even though the spec was out in August of 2006 it took until June of 2007 to get support for it. Same with ogl 3 right now. If you want to develop with it you are tied to the blobs as there is no support for it yet in the foss drivers despite the spec being out since August of last year.

Right from the Doom 3 FAQ:

ATI

ATI's Proprietary Linux Drivers (fglrx) version 3.14.6 and up will run DOOM3. Download fglrx from http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/l...eon-linux.html.
    The DRI drivers for ATI cards may run the game with some tweaking ( you need to apply the S3TC patch for instance ). But the rendering quality will be sub-optimal, as a number of important graphic features are not available in the DRI drivers.
    Last edited by deanjo; 23 July 2009, 06:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hax0r
    replied
    btw:
    ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/190.18/
    ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/190.18/

Leave a comment:

• hax0r
    replied
    The fact is, if you want OpenGL, your only way out is to use nvidia cards and their blob, and thank god we at least have that option. http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com/2008...en-source.html

Leave a comment:

• mirv
    replied
    Ok, you're turning this into an attack on open source (which, btw, was not in my original statement - it was simply that the drivers I used were open source...mostly).
    And by the time doom3 came out, I was using firegl (ran fine, btw).
    Nvidia's "latest support" for opengl is extensions to their own driver - manufacturer specific, not newer versions of opengl. Other companies do this as well.
    And I did try maya - yep, it ran. Wine ran with milkshape3d under linux and r200 drivers. So if you want to keep attacking that, go ahead, but I'll no longer respond. This is way off topic, and all I originally intended was to correct something (that other companies have had linux support for quite some time too).

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by mirv View Post
    They were fully functional at the time of their use (display lists & all). You can hardly expect a banshee to support the latest opengl versions however. If you're referring to the current level of support (and I'll use opengl as an example here) - I'm pretty sure everyone who can support the latest version already does. And we'll exclude opengl 3.2 from that list (considering the spec hasn't even been released yet). I find it interesting in that regard that the nvidia drivers put the version number in there - whilst true that it will likely include everything in 3.2, it's still a little pre-emptive.
    I guess if you consider "fully functional" being limited to applications with 2-3 year old standards then in that respect I guess they were. To bad the rest of the world moved onto newer version of OGL and people were able to adopt them because of solutions such as nvidia's that offered the latest support. There is a reason why blobs are recommended over FOSS drivers when trying to do anything that required at least a semi recent version of openGL. How well did your Doom 3 for example run on your R200 with the foss drivers when it came out for example. Have you ever tried to use anything like maya or pro/E or anything else that required a more recent and advanced openGL stack? How well did wine apps run off that FOSS driver? While FOSS talks, debates and puts out roadmaps those Blobs allow for development to march on while the foss dude follow their 3 steps forward 2 steps back plan of attack.

Leave a comment:

• ap90033
    replied
    Originally posted by ap90033 View Post
    Do I have to beg? Do i have to get on my knees? PLEASE, I have posted for help on a half dozen linux forums (now including nvnews) for help on my issue. I really would like to use linux and learn it but I need help. I bet if I knew a guru locally he could have it up an running in no time. Anyway PLEASE help..
    Ok please please please help me...

Leave a comment:

• mirv
    replied
    They were fully functional at the time of their use (display lists & all). You can hardly expect a banshee to support the latest opengl versions however. If you're referring to the current level of support (and I'll use opengl as an example here) - I'm pretty sure everyone who can support the latest version already does. And we'll exclude opengl 3.2 from that list (considering the spec hasn't even been released yet). I find it interesting in that regard that the nvidia drivers put the version number in there - whilst true that it will likely include everything in 3.2, it's still a little pre-emptive.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X