Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA's Open-Source Kernel Driver & Maturing Wayland Support Were Great In 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

please people stop buying nvidia. adopt a more open source friendly vendor. like amd and intel. you use linux. please stop giving companies like nvidia your money. stop simping for cuda. just stop.
    leather jacket man has plenty of money. he doesn't need linux users money. and vendor locking yourself in by using vendor lock in by design stuff like cuda hurts open source, linux, and user choice. no company loves you, no company cares about you but nvidia both loves you less and cares about you less than the average company. stop rewarding them. nothing they make is worth it. its just what you tell yourself to feel better buying their products to justify why you want a product from a company that hates you more than the typical company.

let nvidia stay a windows only vendor. stop promoting them on linux when you have amd and intel that are far better for the open source vision and community. stop it with the mental gymnastics as to why you need to simp for nvidia and cuda.
    Last edited by middy; 03 January 2024, 12:45 AM.

Comment

An open version of cuda for these conputation heavy tools would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
        please people stop buying nvidia
        Easier said than done for some. If you are building your own computer, and don't have work/etc reasons to need CUDA, then yeah, go AMD. But if you are getting a prebuilt, or as in my case, a laptop, the options are often much more limited. That said, My plan is to switch to Nouveau/NVK some time this year (2024) since I don't use CUDA and my gaming uses are usually limited to a few games (mainly Trackmania 2020 nowadays). Fun fact, NVK is seemingly only 1 extension away (VK_KHR_shader_float16_int8​) from full Vulkan 1.2 support, and another seemingly 3 away (VK_EXT_pipeline_creation_cache_control​, VK_EXT_pipeline_creation_feedback​, VK_EXT_texture_compression_astc_hdr​) from full Vulkan 1.3 support. Of course, there are other extensions not part of the core Vulkan profile that are important for an optimal experience with DXVK/VKD3D-Proton, but with how fast progress has been over the last couple months, I think many will be shocked with how quickly things progress from here on out.

Vulkan 1.2 tracker issue, almost completely done: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/9651
        Vulkan 1.3 tracker issue, almost completely done: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/9652
        Zink tracker issue, almost completely done: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/9477
        DXVK tracker issue, mostly done: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/9478
        VKD3D-Proton tracker issue, has some more stuff not done (e.g. all the raytracing extensions): https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/9479

EDIT: The pipeline stuff is merged now!
        Last edited by QwertyChouskie; 09 January 2024, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Firefox doesn't display menus properly with 125% scaling on the monitor (it clips them). I remember that because recently I read it gained precisely this feature: fractional Wayland scaling. I don't remember what was Chromium's problem.

It's possible this is caused by Plasma feeding them wrong data, after all Plasma is still in beta, but that was my experience. Mind you, it was leaps and bounds better than last time I tried, 6-9 months ago.
          I didn't notice that, thanks

Comment

maturing wayland support? you mean how wayland is now 200/100000 steps to being usable, instead of 195/100000?

Well, it's something I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
              maturing wayland support? you mean how wayland is now 200/100000 steps to being usable, instead of 195/100000?

Well, it's something I guess.
              It's complicated (really), but yes, it's getting there. Using the Nvidia driver and Plasma6 beta, I had a much more pleasant experience than before. No more crashes left and right, no more display corruption every other mouse click. It's not all rosy, but this is the first time in years when I would venture to call it "usable". There are still oddities. For example, lack of support for restoring your session has been marked as a blocker in Plasma for years. It was "fixed" by simply removing that item from the list and scraping the session restore for X also.

TL;DR I was able to use Plasma on Wayland for a couple of days before going back to X. Up until now, I could only use that for a couple of hours.

Comment

What kernel driver, what "maturing" Wayland support? Nvidia has always supported Wayland and has been a great supporter of Wayland from day one in their binary driver packages.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                  What kernel driver, what "maturing" Wayland support? Nvidia has always supported Wayland and has been a great supporter of Wayland from day one in their binary driver packages.
                  Not really. See for example the EGLStreams discussions. It took Nvidia forever to realize and acknowledge that their "idea" of supporting wayland doesn't suit the reality of users. It's just slowly (but steady) getting there today.

Comment

Anybody who uses nvidia's "opensource" driver (eg not nouveau), how is it compared to the regular closed source driver?

Comment

Working...
                    X