NVIDIA 525.60.11 Linux Driver Released With Many Fixes, Vulkan Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Random_Jerk View Post
    Do Nvidia drivers support DSC (Display Stream Compression) on Linux?
    No, they don't.
    There's an ongoing thread and apparently the Nvidia engineers are working on it.
    Hi, this is a request to the Nvidia developers to enable DSC for linux so that we can use higher resolutions and framerates like 8k60. I’m happy to test beta drivers, as I have an 8k60 setup that works in Windows, but not in Linux.

Comment

So nVidia Linux driver is now working like GeForce driver in Windows? I mean with "telemetry" and constant "call home" OTA small updates without user knowledge?

I think that it is not good idea. Generally nVidia proprietary driver is a mess, now it will be even harder to check what is going on... I think that this "OTA" system should stay disabled (if I understand changelog correctly - now this "OTA" need to be enabled manually by user via variable).

Example 1:

1. Install nVidia Linux proprietary driver
      2. Install Steam game (for example Doom)
      3. Stay online (enabled Internet access)
      4. Start game
      5. Assumption: nVidia servers are online/working fine

nVidia Linux proprietary driver telemetry/autoupdate OTA system detected that game has been started -> info about started game has been uploaded to nVidia servers -> game specific nVidia driver patch has been downloaded and automatically applied.

Result: game is working without problems/graphic glitches.

Example 2:

4. Start game
      5. Assumption: nVidia servers are offline (for example there is maintenance window or they are overloaded)

nVidia Linux proprietary driver telemetry/autoupdate OTA system detected that game has been started but driver cannot contact with nVidia servers -> game specific nVidia driver patch has NOT been downloaded and applied...

Result: game is not working (or is working with graphic glitches).

Example 3:

3. Disable Internet access for nVidia bloatware
      4. Start game

Result: game is not working (or is working with graphic glitches) like in example 2...

Comment

Originally posted by Random_Jerk View Post
        Do Nvidia drivers support DSC (Display Stream Compression) on Linux?
        Yes but not at high rates yet. More details here: https://github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-k...omment-3622646

As mentioned there, they plan on supporting it for high refresh rates in R530

Comment

Originally posted by Danniello View Post
          So nVidia Linux driver is now working like GeForce driver in Windows? I mean with "telemetry" and constant "call home" OTA small updates without user knowledge?

I think that it is not good idea. Generally nVidia proprietary driver is a mess, now it will be even harder to check what is going on... I think that this "OTA" system should stay disabled (if I understand changelog correctly - now this "OTA" need to be enabled manually by user via variable).

Example 1:

4. Start game
          5. Assumption: nVidia servers are online/working fine

nVidia Linux proprietary driver telemetry/autoupdate OTA system detected that game has been started -> info about started game has been uploaded to nVidia servers -> game specific nVidia driver patch has been downloaded and automatically applied.

Result: game is working without problems/graphic glitches.

Example 2:

4. Start game
          5. Assumption: nVidia servers are offline (for example there is maintenance window or they are overloaded)

nVidia Linux proprietary driver telemetry/autoupdate OTA system detected that game has been started but driver cannot contact with nVidia servers -> game specific nVidia driver patch has NOT been downloaded and applied...

Result: game is not working (or is working with graphic glitches).

Example 3:

3. Disable Internet access for nVidia bloatware
          4. Start game

Result: game is not working (or is working with graphic glitches) like in example 2...

First, update OTA is opt-in not opt-out. So by default it doesn't talk to Nvidia servers. 2nd I doubt even if that setting is set to on, things stop working without internet. It gives opt-in option to update, not requires something to run.

Comment

Originally posted by Danniello View Post
            ...​
            OMG, dude, you can sell me your MALWARE INFESTED NVIDIA GPU and buy God bestowed AMD/Intel GPU.

Comment

Speaking of the last few drivers. They allow to set fan speed between 1 and 24 which can potentially destroy the fan motor.

Pertinent bug reports:
              NVIDIA Open GPU Kernel Modules Version 525.60.11 Does this happen with the proprietary driver (of the same version) as well? Yes Operating System and Version Fedora release 36 (Thirty Six) Kernel R...

NVIDIA Open GPU Kernel Modules Version 520.56.06 Does this happen with the proprietary driver (of the same version) as well? Yes Operating System and Version Fedora release 36 (Thirty Six) Kernel R...

Comment

Originally posted by Degra View Post

The driver can update its DLSS profiles anytime, without requiring a driver upgrade.
                So that Nvidia can push DLSS updates to users more frequently and you don't have to wait until the next driver release is out to get them.

At least that's how I interpret it.
                This is how it works on Geforce Experience as well, where Nvidia can push a DLSS profile of a freshly released game.
                Geforce Experience will casually install updates without much user notification and certainly no need to upgrade drivers.
                Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

I have the impression NVIDIA is missusing the OTA-Term.

That sums things up nicely.

Comment

I'm curious what "improved the performance of PRIME render-offloaded applications" means. does anyone have more information?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    Speaking of the last few drivers. They allow to set fan speed between 1 and 24 which can potentially destroy the fan motor.

Pertinent bug reports:
                    https://github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-k...les/issues/413
                    https://github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-k...les/issues/395
                    Jesus, the sheer idiocy of others in the second thread.

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post

Jesus, the sheer idiocy of others in the second thread.
                      Yeah, two guys are totally fine with destroying HW

Comment

Working...
                      X