Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Beta Driver Update Revises Vulkan Video Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA Beta Driver Update Revises Vulkan Video Support

NVIDIA on Tuesday released the 515.49.18 Linux beta driver and the 517.55 beta driver for Windows. Most notable with the Vulkan beta driver updates are revising the support for the latest Vulkan Video provisional extensions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice! (For Nvidia people)
    Now I wonder, have these extensions been implemented by open source drivers too, like RADV and ANV?
    Also I wonder, will these extension support videos with HDR metadata too?
    As for AV1 an VP9, it's disappointing that they are still not supported!
    Looks a bit like Mozilla, that implements in Firefox open standards for containers and codecs last.

Comment

Let them fix the crappy performance when using prime under wayland or the xwayland synchronisation issue first...
      Then we can talk about Vulkan video support.

My intel+nvidia notebook performs like shit because my screen is connected to the nvidia HDMI port.
      Last edited by MastaG; 28 September 2022, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Michael seems to have missed a critical announcement: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fedora/comm...ardware_video/

Too bad I'm on his BL, so he won't be seeing a notification.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Michael seems to have missed a critical announcement: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fedora/comm...ardware_video/

Too bad I'm on his BL, so he won't be seeing a notification.
          While of cource this is very unfortunate, the title in that reddit post is a bit clickbaity. From those links, it seems the change will only affect h264/265 family of codecs. So that means vp9 and av01 codecs which the majority of youtube videos use for example, should still work with VAAPI.

Comment

EXT_mutable_descriptor_type is the more interesting addition imo, would be interesting to see how it affects d3d12 games on vkd3d-proton on nvidia performance-wise.

Comment

These will probably catch on for Android first. Meaning closed drivers (e.g. Qualcomm, Mediatek) will offer support before open ones.

Comment

The NVIDIA Linux driver 515.65 and 515.76 are not compatible with Debian 11 on kernel 5.19.x !? We've been waiting for a fix for weeks, so what is Nvidia doing ?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Phil995511 View Post
                  The NVIDIA Linux driver 515.65 and 515.76 are not compatible with Debian 11 on kernel 5.19.x !? We've been waiting for a fix for weeks, so what is Nvidia doing ?!?
                  They aren't compatible out of the box with any kernel starting with 5.18 that uses IBT. And you can work around that by passing ibt=off to the kernel. Unless you're talking about a different issue.

Comment

Working...
                  X