X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• binarybanana
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

This has got to be the first time I ever see anyone thanking Nvidia within the Linux community.
    Official VM support for their gaming cards is another reason Nvidia gets a big "Thank you!" from me.
    And no, before they started supporting it officially all I got was a bluescreen (in the VM) when I got all the workarounds right. After VM support came the driver loaded, but HDMI output didn't work. The driver after that fixed even my HDMI output. Now it's perfect. The way it's meant to be played.

Leave a comment:

• zoomblab
    replied
    Decoding is not interesting to me. A good CPU can handle it. Hardware accelerated encoding on the other hand would enable some real useful use cases especially if it was realtime and the quality was customizable.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied

This has got to be the first time I ever see anyone thanking Nvidia within the Linux community.
    Well once in a while there is an ironical thx
    Last edited by CochainComplex; 27 June 2022, 07:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• middy
    replied
    Originally posted by WereCatf View Post

Neither AMD or Intel use VDPAU, so probably never. AMD and Intel use VAAPI, or alternatively AMF for AMD and QSV for Intel.
    amd supports vdpau. and vaapi. t. proud and prideful 6900 xt user.

Leave a comment:

• numacross
    replied
    Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post

What have I to see on that page (chrome:gpu) to see whether it runs? thanks
    Since you asked for video decode acceleration you're looking for "Video Decode: Hardware accelerated"

Leave a comment:

• MorrisS.
    replied
    Originally posted by numacross View Post

That is a complex matter since it depends a lot on your distribution and setup.

For Firefox you can use this Fedora article to check/configure it on AMD/Intel via VAAPI.

As for Chrome/Chromium you can check chrome://gpu
    What have I to see on that page (chrome:gpu) to see whether it runs? thanks

Leave a comment:

• jaxa
    replied
    Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

Not for the 6400 and 6500 they haven't, a terrible omission and why these cards should be given a wide berth.

http://www.neowin.net/news/amd039s-n...d-hevc-encode/
    AMD's failure to put AV1 decode in Navi 24 (6500 XT and 6400) is widely known by now, but what does it mean for the VCN version? Is it using an older version number or a special nerfed version of VCN 3.0?

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied

talk to people doing compute, then you will get it plenty lmao

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by wertigon View Post
    Thank you Nvidia.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by WereCatf View Post
    Neither AMD or Intel use VDPAU, so probably never. AMD and Intel use VAAPI, or alternatively AMF for AMD and QSV for Intel.
    AMD can use VDPAU through the Gallium3D state tracker, at least for certain formats. In fact, I used to use it before VA-API got in better shape for non-Intel GPU's.
    Last edited by DanL; 26 June 2022, 06:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X