NVIDIA Linux Gaming Performance For Wayland vs. X.Org On Ubuntu 22.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Linux Gaming Performance For Wayland vs. X.Org On Ubuntu 22.04

Phoronix: NVIDIA Linux Gaming Performance For Wayland vs. X.Org On Ubuntu 22.04

With NVIDIA's newly-introduced 510 Linux driver series paired with the latest XWayland and a modern Wayland compositor like the newest GNOME/Mutter packages, the NVIDIA (X)Wayland experience is in great shape and delivering comparable performance to a traditional X.Org session. The NVIDIA Wayland support with GBM usage has stabilized and appears to be in good shape for the upcoming Ubuntu 22.04 LTS release. Here are some benchmarks of the NVIDIA 510 driver on the current state of Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this XWayland?
    Can we uninstall Xorg completely?

Comment

I'm a little surprised to see Wayland falling behind in 4K; I would think that's where it should do best.

Comment

Comparison deals with Xorg vs XWayland. A pure Wayland game is necessary to obtain an objective result between Xorg and Wayland.

Comment

Is there also a Test with AMD graphic card?

Comment

As boring as it gets. And that's great news.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I'm a little surprised to see Wayland falling behind in 4K; I would think that's where it should do best.
              I think Nvidia still has to jump through some hoops like copying the framebuffer or something... I think they're working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                Comparison deals with Xorg vs XWayland. A pure Wayland game is necessary to obtain an objective result between Xorg and Wayland.
                Native Linux games? You must be joking. Win32 + Direct3D/Vulkan are a ton better APIs.

Originally posted by ernstp View Post

I think Nvidia still has to jump through some hoops like copying the framebuffer or something... I think they're working on it.
                Yeah, I've also got a feeling Wayland under NVIDIA is not fully "native" so to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                  I think there are some native games using SDL that could make use of native Wayland using the newer SDL lib instead.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Phoronix: NVIDIA Linux Gaming Performance For Wayland vs. X.Org On Ubuntu 22.04

With NVIDIA's newly-introduced 510 Linux driver series paired with the latest XWayland and a modern Wayland compositor like the newest GNOME/Mutter packages, the NVIDIA (X)Wayland experience is in great shape and delivering comparable performance to a traditional X.Org session.

https://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=30896
                    Thanks for this certainly interesting article.

However, one might argue that the tested configuration is largely not relevant to the largest part of this audience due to the recent availability of the RTX 3090 and of course its price. Also, the RTX 3090 represents the most performant, feature rich of the NVidia GPU lineup.

I have to admit that I am not that familiar on the feature differences between NVidia products, but I assume a followup article that tests performance at least for previous generation NVidia GPUs would be highly relevant to most of your readership. E.g. NVidia GTX1080, RTX 2080 or the more mainline GTX 1070/RTX 2070.

Keep these articles coming!

Comment

Working...
                    X