Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 455.28 Released As Stable Linux Driver For RTX 3080/3090

Phoronix: NVIDIA 455.28 Released As Stable Linux Driver For RTX 3080/3090

Last month marked the release of the 455.23.04 beta driver for NVIDIA Linux users in providing support for the GeForce RTX 3080 and 3090 graphics cards. The NVIDIA 455.28 Linux driver is out today as their first official 455 series release and also stable RTX 3080/3090 Ampere support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, VDPAU VP9 support means I can now play 4K HDR videos on Youtube using GPU decode as long as browsers like Firefox support it?

Comment

Originally posted by Random_Jerk View Post
      Well, VDPAU VP9 support means I can now play 4K HDR videos on Youtube using GPU decode as long as browsers like Firefox support it?
      Nvidia does not support dmabuf, gpu video decode does not work with nvidia cards

Comment

why can't they simply support vvapi... oh wait. cause it's effing nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by Random_Jerk View Post
          use the wrapper vdpau to vaapi most of distros have it for many years now

Comment

Originally posted by d3coder View Post

Nvidia does not support dmabuf, gpu video decode does not work with nvidia cards
            The dmabuf is needed specifically for Firefox's implementation. The GPU video decode with vaapi in principle works fine with the patched vdpau-to-vaapi driver https://github.com/xtknight/vdpau-va-driver-vp9

Comment

I don't see anything new about Linux 5.9 support; I'm crossing my fingers it's not gonna take too long.

Comment

Originally posted by aphysically View Post
                I don't see anything new about Linux 5.9 support; I'm crossing my fingers it's not gonna take too long.
                it works with 5.9

Comment

Originally posted by aphysically View Post
                  Typically the usual suspects using such proprietary blobs (nvidia / vmware) wait until actual kernel release before adding the needed changes to their next software releases. Of course, for the impatient, there tend to be unofficial community patches (with varying levels of QA) floating around that make it possible for individuals to build a working solution too. So if you want it bad enough, go be bad.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                    it works with 5.9
                    CUDA? Last I knew the nvidia-uvm driver was being blocked by the gpl-shim changes in the 5.9 kernel. And there was nothing mentioned in the changelog (not that the nvidia changelogs are always complete).

Comment

Working...
                    X