No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Unveils $59 USD Raspberry Pi Competitor With Jetson Nano 2GB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might be a decent 'low end' Plex server with built in NVENC/DEC capabilities

Comment

M.2 slot please.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
        So it's
        • More expensive
        • Less ram
        • Much larger
        • 60% heatsink
        • Nvidia gpu
        Competitor isn't exactly the word I would use
        Yeah... let's just list all of the cons and none of the pros. That's the objective way to measure product, right?

The main reason you get a Jetson is because of the GPU in a relatively low-watt and small platform, and most people who care about that kind of compute power in such a platform don't give a crap whether the drivers are open-source because they're probably using it for CUDA anyway.

Comment

Coming in at $55 USD on the Raspberry Pi side [...] Gigabit Ethernet over USB
          That's incorrect. The Raspberry Pi 4 SoC has native Gigabit Ethernet. It's one of the major improvements compared to the Pi 3.

But yeah, the VideoCore is getting long in the tooth. I hope they'll update the GPU with the next Raspberry Pi revision. At the very least they should make the VideoCore wider.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
            vote with your wallet, and buy hardware with OPEN Source Linux drivers and preferably register level specification.
            Yes exactly. Until Nvidia pulls head from ass, nice cards like this will not be coming to my house. It is a sad reality too as this looks like a nice board to embed in all sorts of things but not a place to run open source Linux.

Comment

So it's more expensive then the Pi 4, has less memory at the same price point, has a weaker CPU and an old GPU architecture. Not much is known about the Pi 4's VideoCore VI, so I don't know if the old Maxwell really is more powerful.

Comment

Personally have run up against out-of-memory errors when running some Tensorflow benchmarks on my 4GB Jetson Nano, so this is a regression. Much better would have been a 119 USD 8GB version.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                  But yeah, the VideoCore is getting long in the tooth. I hope they'll update the GPU with the next Raspberry Pi revision. At the very least they should make the VideoCore wider.
                  I think I've heard that they would be unlikely to update the GPU in Pi5, but take that with a grain of salt because 1.) I can't find it, 2.) RPi Foundation plays things close to the chest.

The GPU is a weak point of RPi4, and improvements to the GPU could help on the AI front, which would align well with RPi's educational mission. So it would make sense. Maybe they need to wait a couple of years and go down to a 12nm/14nm node before significant improvements can be made.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post
                    So it's more expensive then the Pi 4, has less memory at the same price point, has a weaker CPU and an old GPU architecture. Not much is known about the Pi 4's VideoCore VI, so I don't know if the old Maxwell really is more powerful.
                    It is interesting that everybody compares the card to PI when there are so many similar boards. Odroid for examples has some very nice boards that would be competitive for some uses.

Comment

Originally posted by sykobee View Post
                      A decent GPU (for the form factor) coupled with a underwhelming CPU. 128 CUDA cores at 920MHz is I think 235 GFLOPS, around 4-5x higher than the Raspberry Pi. But it's the Pi that is behind, the GPU hasn't improved significantly in 8 years (maybe 2x performance, when the CPU is at least 10x).
                      Keep in mind the sole purpose of the Raspberry Pi was for educational purposes; aimed to introduce kids to simple development and programming of the device.
                      That has been a huge succeeded. The Pi was never intended as a professional level product. That said it is so versatile it is used in commercial applications like kiosks.
                      I myself am mulling over a Pi project for Android auto for my truck. I already have a pi3 running RetroPie for old arcade games. Also have one running Pie-hole.

Comment

Working...
                      X