NVIDIA 455.23.04 Linux Beta Released With GeForce RTX 3080/3090 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 455.23.04 Linux Beta Released With GeForce RTX 3080/3090 Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA 455.23.04 Linux Beta Released With GeForce RTX 3080/3090 Support

NVIDIA has once again managed to provide launch-day Linux driver support for their next-generation graphics processors. Today the NVIDIA 455.23.04 beta driver is shipping for Linux support with the GeForce RTX 3080 and RTX 3090 "Ampere" graphics cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting, support for 3080 and 3090, but not for 3070.
    The 3070 may be a little different, not using GDDR6X.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      3070 is releasing October 17th, they will probably release another driver when it is released. If I were to guess, it probably just hasn't finished testing before 3080 and 3090 released.

Comment

Wasn't there supposed to be some kind of major open source NVIDIA announcement that was postponed when COVID happened? What ever happened to that?

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
          Wasn't there supposed to be some kind of major open source NVIDIA announcement that was postponed when COVID happened? What ever happened to that?
          Well, if it wasn't announced, I'm not sure why you're expecting anyone to be able to tell you anything more on top of that. Try bugging Nvidia employees instead maybe?

Comment

I can only hope for better Wayland compatibility and they fix the xrandr scale issues.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              They do it only to prevent people from leaking performance results before NDA expires. There's no conspiracy.

Comment

at least they have day one support for the new gpu in linux, not like amd

Comment

we can bitch about nvidia as much as we want, but day-one support for Linux is very impressive indeed.

Comment

Are you talking about the kernel open source improvements that happened with 5.6? https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa....6-DRM-Changes

That looks like it was around the time of the announcement.

Actually, looks like they axed the announcement because of the pandemic https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gamin...heir_gtc_talk/

I'd imagine some other things in the pipeline still.

Originally posted by brenohrocha View Post
                    I can only hope for better Wayland compatibility and they fix the xrandr scale issues.
                    It works quite well. There's one weird issue I've not narrowed down far enough though to know where its coming from but if you don't play any games, its possible be able to use it daily if wanted if you implement the various aspects they are not default right now. XWayland/X11 will work better for everyone for some more years as its a very mature way.

There are still applications that have issues with Wayland and nothing was originally designed to take it into consideration. Wayland is very much a pain.
                    Last edited by ix900; 17 September 2020, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X