Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Demonstrates Porting Of DirectX Ray-Tracing To Vulkan

Phoronix: NVIDIA Demonstrates Porting Of DirectX Ray-Tracing To Vulkan

"Open-source" achievements aren't too common for NVIDIA or Microsoft much less together, but thanks to their open-source work on the DXC DirectXCompiler it's possible to easily convert HLSL DXR shaders to SPIR-V for Vulkan...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seems pretty nice, but as-usual, someone come along and give a well-rounded essay as to why this is a bad thing.

Comment

I want to change the rgb led color of the 2070 would be good to ask while we are at it.

Comment

Originally posted by cusa123 View Post
        I want to change the rgb led color of the 2070 would be good to ask while we are at it.
        Is that even an NVIDIA-controlled interface? Most RGB implementations are super dirty and exploitable vendor-specific hacks. There are some open source projects that reverse-engineered this for Linux, but again it's vendor-specific and often model-specific too.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          with the same capabilities of DirextX Ray-Tracing.

Comment

I have to say, this is pretty awesome news. While I fully support Nvidia's right to be and remain proprietary, any move they make towards open source is awesome.

Comment

So is directx to vulkan the "big upcoming NVidia surprise" that was mentioned prior to the new year or has that surprise not landed yet?

Comment

I would expect nVidia to choose a title to showcase the new technology. I could see nVidia sending engineers to get this working in a likely Vulkan Linux release of Metro Exodus. But if they wait too long, Feral might pounce.

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
                  Metro Exodus ... Feral might pounce
                  The other two Metro games were ported by the original developer, so I'd expect this to be in-house too. I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia help, but doubt that Feral would be involved.

Comment

Originally posted by darinmiller View Post
                    So is directx to vulkan the "big upcoming NVidia surprise" that was mentioned prior to the new year or has that surprise not landed yet?
                    No.

"We'll report up-to-the-minute developments on NVIDIA's status and activities, and possibly (depending on last-minute developments) a few future plans and directions, regarding our contributions to Linux kernel; supporting Nouveau (the open source kernel driver for NVIDIA GPUs, that is in the Linux kernel), including signed firmware behavior, documentation, and patches; and NVIDIA kernel drivers."

Comment

Working...
                    X