Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Releases 340.107 Linux Driver Providing Updated Legacy Support For GeForce 8 / 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Releases 340.107 Linux Driver Providing Updated Legacy Support For GeForce 8 / 9

Phoronix: NVIDIA Releases 340.107 Linux Driver Providing Updated Legacy Support For GeForce 8 / 9

For those still running a GeForce 8 or 9 series graphics card, you really ought to consider upgrading this holiday season. Even the cheapest of recent generation NVIDIA GPUs should deliver better performance and far better efficiency over those older GPUs, but in any case, NVIDIA released the 340.107 Linux driver as part of their legacy maintenance support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Correction: It's the 340.108 driver, not 340.107.

Comment

Upgrade the graphic card, yeah tell my laptop.

Comment

For those still running a GeForce 8 or 9 series graphics card, you really ought to consider upgrading this holiday season. Even the cheapest of recent generation NVIDIA GPUs should deliver better performance and far better efficiency over those older GPUs, but in any case, NVIDIA released the 340.108 Linux driver as part of their legacy maintenance support.
        Isn't the real typo Even the cheapest of recent generation NVIDIA GPUs | Even the cheapest of recent generation NVIDIA GPUs or GPU from better manufacturer?

Comment

I know it's what Nvidia wrote originally and it wasn't cocked up by Phoronix, but to call it GeForce 8 / 9 series is misleading.

The driver supports the GeForce 8xxx and 9xxx series - one could also call it the GeForce 8k and 9k series - as well as newer cards up to and including the GTX 8xx series. The GTX 9xx series doesn't seem to be included nor do I ever recall a GeForce 8 or GeForce 9 card being marketed.

The list of supported hardware: https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/...rtedchips.html

Comment

heh - Yeah, when I read "8 or 9 series", I thought of 960/970/980, and was confused as to where the "8" part came from since there was no 8xx in the last digit cycle.

Gotta, say, that's an impressively-large list of (very long dead!) chips supported in this release. Meanwhile, AMD doesn't even support the ONE-year-old Polaris any more.
            "F**k nvidia" re their stance on OSS for sure, but as long as you're happy with the binary driver that support commitment is pretty amazing. Credit where it's due.

Comment

According to the https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...ail/a_id/3142/ it might as well be the last release of that driver:

Support for new Linux kernels and X servers, as well as fixes for critical bugs, will be included in 340.* legacy releases through the end of 2019.

Comment

Working...
              X