Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Working On New GLX Extension To Help PRIME GPU Offloading

Phoronix: NVIDIA Working On New GLX Extension To Help PRIME GPU Offloading

NVIDIA has been working on a new GLX extension to help the PRIME GPU offloading situation where multiple GPU vendors are involved and thus different OpenGL driver implementations. In particular, the proposed GLX_EXT_server_vendor_select is designed to better fit in to address PRIME GPU offloading obstacles introduced by their work on the now common GLVND OpenGL Vendor Neutral Dispatch library...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This would be huge (and long overdue) for modern laptops with discrete graphics. I really hope they get this implemented so that we don't have to use hacky, complicated solutions with abysmal performance anymore.

Comment

Why is there any need for new extensions, if Mesa already works fine with PRIME (for AMD and Intel)?

As for laptops, just stay away from Nvidia. Problem solved.

Comment

Of course, NVIDIA always goes the wrong way for things we really need.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          Why is there any need for new extensions, if Mesa already works fine with PRIME (for AMD and Intel)?

As for laptops, just stay away from Nvidia. Problem solved.
          Everybody scratching their itch. How hard is it to accept?

Comment

Originally posted by llukas View Post

Everybody scratching their itch. How hard is it to accept?
            I don't accept that Nvidia are so incapable for years to support PRIME. They aren't amateurs, yet the result looks like complete incompetence since it still doesn't work today for their blob. I'd say completely avoiding them is the best course of action for Linux users.

Comment

I don't accept that Nvidia are so incapable for years to support PRIME. They aren't amateurs, yet the result looks like complete incompetence since it still doesn't work today for their blob. I'd say completely avoiding them is the best course of action for Linux users.
              Maybe it's because nvidia doesn't support DRI3?

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post

Maybe it's because nvidia doesn't support DRI3?
                Whatever the reason is, the result is that PRIME still doesn't work.

Comment

Whatever the reason is, the result is that PRIME still doesn't work.
                  Do you remember if it was DRI3 that involved kernel APIs flagged GPL-only? I seem to remember something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                    Do you remember if it was DRI3 that involved kernel APIs flagged GPL-only? I seem to remember something like that.
                    I vaguely remember some disagreement that Nvidia developers had with kernel maintainers who didn't want to accept certain integration due to GPL violation. But I'm not sure if it was about DRI3. All this is really quite easy for Nvidia to resolve - they can support the open kernel driver. They simply don't want to. I see it as incompetence of their higher management who can't get over their blob mentality.
                    Last edited by shmerl; 25 April 2019, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X