Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• val-gaav
    replied
    Well some people missunderstood my comment. I really am not surprised that the average GNU/Linux user may choose nvidia. Sure their driver mostly works, gives best performance etc.

... but I'm surprised that developers pick this up too. They are the ones that should know best that blobs are harmfull to Linux.

Really nvidia is the last one big player that doesn't provide the specs, specs for which devs cried for over the years. Nvidia should be presured to change their stance.

BTW as just users ask yourselfs why is Linux a great stable OS ? Answer is due it's open nature. That's not only because more people can view the code and find bugs. When distros have the source they can nicely put together all those pieces that make what a Linux distro is. Every blob brings up a potential stability danger and takes away the control of how it works from distro. I'm really a pragmatic guy and if I cared for gaming or flawless compositing experience etc. I would go with nvidia myself. That said I would never say that :
    Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
    I don't care it's not open source. I just want it to be free (as in beer) and working good/stable.
    because I know that Linux distro is working/good and stable thanks to the open source nature. Put more blobs in it and it all may soon fall apart.

Leave a comment:

• Chewi
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    What is ironic?
    Just that we all dumped our NVIDIA cards in favour of ATI so we could get good open support for features like this and then NVIDIA implements it first, albeit in their closed driver. But I guess it isn't all that surprising really, despite being closed, the driver is quite fully featured.

Leave a comment:

• tmpdir
    replied
    Originally posted by greg View Post
    deanjo, how? MythTV is quite complicated. I just need a pointer.
    manual

Wiki-based manual

as said: you only need to configure what you wanna use.

Problems? go here: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Community

Have fun!

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by greg View Post
    You simply don't use or configure the vdr functions.

Leave a comment:

• greg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• grantek
    replied
    Meh - it's a good move by nVidia, and their products are now better in the absence of a proper open-source solution. I prefer Linux technically over Windows, so if I absolutely had to build a htpc with video acceleration Right Now it'd be a Linux+nVidia setup. If I went with Windows and an ATi card that has acceleration in the Windows driver, I'd be financially supporting a company that's trying its best to get a working open-source platform out and helping that along, but still, it'd mean using Windows *shudder*

Leave a comment:

• korpenkraxar
    replied
    Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
    I want to see XvBA working, and dri2 integrated into the proprietary drivers (and timely updates for new xservers/kernels). I also want to see working open-source drivers (with KMS, gem, and dri2, and hopefully video acceleration using extended XvMC or, even better, VAAPI)
    Me too, but while we wait for a few years, I don't really mind using a $50 Nvidia card that already has the fundamentals right...

Leave a comment:

• TechMage89
    replied
    ATI needs to get their collective rear in gear, or my next gpu will be nvidia.

ATI has hardware superiority and pricepoint superiority at present (at least, in my price range), but if I can't effective use my card, it matters little. I want to see XvBA working, and dri2 integrated into the proprietary drivers (and timely updates for new xservers/kernels). I also want to see working open-source drivers (with KMS, gem, and dri2, and hopefully video acceleration using extended XvMC or, even better, VAAPI)

Leave a comment:

• korpenkraxar
    replied
    AMD/ATI really needs to get their act together in the next driver release and provide something along these lines or at least confirm that a working UVD2 solution is really in the pipeline or Nvidia will snatch much of the Linux HTPC momentum, mind share and development for the next few months or so.

C'mon AMD! Publish all that R600/R700 documentation and show people how these features can find their way into the Free drivers anytime soon or it'll be difficult for most off us to see how you could possibly provide a more appealing solution than Nvidia's (given what we are used to have to endure running the fglrx driver).

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by Chewi View Post
    Heh this is good but I bought an ATI card too. Oh, the irony! I'm sure we'll get a similar thing for ATI cards soon though.
    What is ironic?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X