Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If other hardware vendors are interested, they are welcome to also
    provide implementations of VDPAU. The VDPAU API was designed to allow
    a vendor backend to be selected at run time.
    Err.. Does this mean that this api is open and other graphics card manufacturers can use the code in their own hw(is that even possible). Or am I completely missed something...

Comment

API doesn't mean code
      It's just a header file, assuming it was legally possible, implementing it with gallium would allow all the gallium drivers to use it.

Comment

If you guys are interested in profiles that work with VDPAU a good place to start to find compatible profiles can be found here:

Although it uses windows software in the howto, it can be used for setting up other software like handbrake or your favorite encoding software as well.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          If you guys are interested in profiles that work with VDPAU a good place to start to find compatible profiles can be found here:

Although it uses windows software in the howto, it can be used for setting up other software like handbrake or your favorite encoding software as well.
          I don't even have to go read that, I can sum it up much more succinctly:

MPEG4 High Profile @ Level 4.1 for HD
          MPEG4 High Profile @ Level 3.1 for SD

All lower levels accelerable as well.

Comment

There is a new set of mplayer patches on nvidia's ftp:

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/vd...139462.tar.bz2

Comment

Here is the official list

VDPAU is currently supported on the following NVIDIA GPUs:

Desktop GPUs:
              GeForce 200 Series
              GeForce 9 Series
              GeForce 86xx Series
              GeForce 85xx Series
              GeForce 84xx Series
              GeForce 8300 GS
              GeForce 8800 GTS 512
              GeForce 8800 GT
              GeForce 8800 GS

Mobile GPUs:
              GeForce 98xxM
              GeForce 9700M
              GeForce 96xxM
              GeForce 9500M
              GeForce 9300M
              GeForce 9200M
              GeForce 8800M
              GeForce 8800M GTS
              GeForce 8800M GTX
              GeForce 8600M
              GeForce 8400M

Motherboard GPUs:
              GeForce 9400
              GeForce 9300
              GeForce 9100
              GeForce 8300
              GeForce 8200

VC-1 support in NVIDIA's VDPAU implementation currently requires GeForce
              9300 GS, GeForce 9200M GS, GeForce 9300M GS, or GeForce 9300M GS.
              I am reading this CURRENTLY as a other will support in future? what about MGPU geforce 8x00 and 9x00 series to supprt VC-1 going forward?

Comment

Originally posted by Cuppa-Chino View Post
                I am reading this CURRENTLY as a other will support in future? what about MGPU geforce 8x00 and 9x00 series to supprt VC-1 going forward?
                Only cards that support pure VC-1 hardware acceleration support. 8xxxx and 9xxxx series is a no go as they do not have that support.

Comment

Only cards that support pure VC-1 hardware acceleration support. 8xxxx and 9xxxx series is a no go as they do not have that support.
                  sorry still confused, taken straight from the nvidia webpage here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product...0_mgpu_us.html

Breathtaking High Definition Video Playback
                  Experience full-spec playback of your favorite Blu-ray titles. PureVideo HD offloads 100% of movie playback for all HD video formats (H.264, VC1, MPEG-2), delivering stunning, stutter-free video with outstanding audio fidelity.
                  so the intel mgpu can supposedly do the vc-1

similarly on this page:
                  http://www.nvidia.com/object/product...0_mgpu_us.html

HD at 1080p for Everyone
                  Experience astounding Blu-ray and HD-DVD movie picture quality (supported formats include H.264, VC1 and MPEG2) with PureVideo HD technology.Enjoy enhanced system performance, reduced power consumption and quieter operation with minimal CPU utilization.
                  so I am taking your answer as a will not rather than cannot, just trying to understand...?

Comment

From what I've been able to make out is that VC1 (VLD_VC1_MODE_D) is only supported in 8400GS, 8200/8300, and 9300/9400 series. That's not to say though however older, previous versions of Purevideo HD will not be supported in the future. This stuff is still pretty new.

Last edited by deanjo; 28 November 2008, 06:19 PM.

Comment

thanks I do not want to appear obnoxius, I am just trying to piece together an HTPC and want to make sure I cover all the bases.....

Comment

Working...
                      X