X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post

It's also a synthetic benchmark, not a real world situation.
    I meant: it's not a 40% increase in IPC, it's a 40% increase if you look at one specific thing from one specific point of view. Like all performance increases we've got since Sandy Bridge or even a few iterations before that.

Leave a comment:

• smartalgorithm
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Form Arstechnica:
    yep, that could be... but that still fine if they adopt a good pricing policy. i don't care how the performance of my computations is boosted, i care if it's boosted or not.
    anyway i hope to see more news like these.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied

Form Arstechnica:
    It's also a synthetic benchmark, not a real world situation.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
    40% boost, wow. that should make people happier now
    Form Arstechnica:
    A total of 25 percent of that boost (in the SYSmark benchmark) comes from the doubled core and thread count. The remainder is split evenly between "manufacturing" improvements (which is to say, higher clock speeds) and "design" improvements.

Leave a comment:

• Holograph
    replied
    Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
    I don't recommend taking that at face value. Their claims of performance increases generally would get a "Pants on Fire" rating if we used the scale from a certain political site.

Leave a comment:

• smartalgorithm
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I mean, maybe? If it was me making the decision, I'd still rather get the refresh. You know they must've addressed some errata and design issues. In my opinion it's still worthy of a proper naming convention that reflects it's position in this years lineup.
    Again (and for the last time): I'm not against differentiation*, but against lumping hardware from different generations under the 8000 series.

*Minor fab improvements may not be even worth differentiating. For example, video cards routinely change capacitors or VRAM during their lifecycle, but they don't get released under a new name because of that. But let's just say the line is blurred about what deserves differentiation and what doesn't and leave it at that.

Leave a comment:

• Holograph
    replied
    Originally posted by polarathene View Post

IIRC it was originally Cannon Lake, no idea when it got switched to Coffee Lake, both sound cool to me.
    Cannonlake was said to be after Skylake originally.. then they inserted the Skylake Refresh AKA Kaby Lake in between... then they inserted Coffee Lake between Kaby Lake and Cannonlake but it was going to have some improvements like 6 cores instead of 4... but now they've essentially decided to do Coffee Lake as another Skylake Refresh for mobile, and apparently have delayed for the desktop yet again.

Cannonlake should still be out someday, but maybe they'll decide to do another couple of Skylake refreshes before then.

Skylake is gonna be SO FRESH by the time they're done with it.

I've been pissed at AMD recently for delaying and then insultingly downplaying the GCC issue in Ryzen, said I'd go Coffee Lake but I didn't realize the "real Coffee Lake" would be a while... This mobile "Coffee Lake" is like... McCafe coffee or something.

I'm not really happy with either company so I guess I'll just delay my upgrade. Don't really want to give either company my money right now.
    Last edited by Holograph; 21 August 2017, 10:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied

It would have been much more honest to call these i5-7770U or something. But they don't want to appear like they adding to last year's lineup (which they are).
    I mean, maybe? If it was me making the decision, I'd still rather get the refresh. You know they must've addressed some errata and design issues. In my opinion it's still worthy of a proper naming convention that reflects it's position in this years lineup.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I'm not burning them for it, It's just not that big a deal. And I'm sure the reason they rename the rebranded product is so that the naming conventions align with the current gen. Maybe last gen it was a top end product and this gen it is a mid end product, then you need to update the naming conventions accordingly. It's so that people buying them -aren't- confused.
    It would have been much more honest to call these i5-7770U or something. But they don't want to appear like they adding to last year's lineup (which they are).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X