Intel Sends First Batch Of Changes To DRM-Next For Linux 4.12: 550+ Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Sends First Batch Of Changes To DRM-Next For Linux 4.12: 550+ Patches

Phoronix: Intel Sends First Batch Of Changes To DRM-Next For Linux 4.12: 550+ Patches

Intel is off to the races in preparing their new feature material work they plan to have introduced for the Linux 4.12 kernel, even though Linux 4.11-rc1 was just introduced on Monday and thus still nearly two months until the 4.12 merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Intel supports OpenGL 4.5 and OpenGL ES 3.2.
    But there is still work to be done on extensions that are not part of OpenGL.
    Show Mesa progress for the OpenGL, OpenGL ES, Vulkan and OpenCL drivers implementations into an easy to read HTML page.

Also Intel's Kaby Lake wont have a GPU that will be able to match the GPU of upcoming AMD Ryzen processors with high-performance integrated AMD graphics that will blow the graphics of Intel out of the water.

Does Intel still have no interest in Gallium3D?
    What is the state of OpenCL, OpenVG, and OpenMAX?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Intel supports OpenGL 4.5 and OpenGL ES 3.2.
      But there is still work to be done on extensions that are not part of OpenGL.
      Show Mesa progress for the OpenGL, OpenGL ES, Vulkan and OpenCL drivers implementations into an easy to read HTML page.

Also Intel's Kaby Lake wont have a GPU that will be able to match the GPU of upcoming AMD Ryzen processors with high-performance integrated AMD graphics that will blow the graphics of Intel out of the water.

Does Intel still have no interest in Gallium3D?
      What is the state of OpenCL, OpenVG, and OpenMAX?
      so - let's break this down - there is always more work on extensions, the primary market for Intel graphics is business desktops and small laptops (and it does this really well), AMD has to at least match that with their own chips, as well as go higher end. No Intel has no interesting in Gallium 3D, it would be a massive effort to rework it for little potential gain. OpenCL (via beigenet) is getting to 2.0 levels and performance. NFI on OpenVG or OpenMAX

Comment

Something in the 4.9 kernel causes 2nd suspend/resume cycle to freeze the system(can't switch to different TTY or SSH in, logs or I/O rather seems to have stopped too...). From those affected(myself included), seems to be Skylake reported only. 4.8 works great but 4.9, 4.10 and presumably 4.11 all have this issue. Any idea how to debug it? Could it be some Intel power management or similar that was changed in 4.9? I'm using the iGPU with generic modesetting driver.

Comment

polarathene my first approach is always to bisect and report the broken commit. Granted, I would think 4.8 to 4.9 must be a pretty big window.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

so - let's break this down - there is always more work on extensions, the primary market for Intel graphics is business desktops and small laptops (and it does this really well), AMD has to at least match that with their own chips, as well as go higher end. No Intel has no interesting in Gallium 3D, it would be a massive effort to rework it for little potential gain. OpenCL (via beigenet) is getting to 2.0 levels and performance. NFI on OpenVG or OpenMAX
            Before Ilo was removed from Mesa there was talk of wiring it up to use Nir like vc4 - the belief being that most of the Intel stuff could be reused from Gallium - there wasn't much interest though
            Last edited by FireBurn; 07 March 2017, 10:01 AM. Reason: Typo: live -> like

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
              4.8 to 4.9 must be a pretty big window.
              luckily bisection has logarythmic difficulty

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                Something in the 4.9 kernel causes 2nd suspend/resume cycle to freeze the system(can't switch to different TTY or SSH in, logs or I/O rather seems to have stopped too...). From those affected(myself included), seems to be Skylake reported only. 4.8 works great but 4.9, 4.10 and presumably 4.11 all have this issue. Any idea how to debug it? Could it be some Intel power management or similar that was changed in 4.9? I'm using the iGPU with generic modesetting driver.
                I can confirm this issue on Kaby Lake.

Is there a bug report for it to track progress?

Comment

Originally posted by tajjada View Post

I can confirm this issue on Kaby Lake.

Is there a bug report for it to track progress?
                  Yes, please join in and contribute anything to help get it fixed

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
                    polarathene my first approach is always to bisect and report the broken commit. Granted, I would think 4.8 to 4.9 must be a pretty big window.
                    I've not done such before, is it difficult to do first time or just time consuming? Does it require compiling kernels from git commits and using those to verify when the bug was introduced? I've never compiled kernels before nor familiar with how to set them up for using at boot. It might be best left for someone more experienced/familiar with all that, though I'll help where I can.

Comment

Working...
                    X