Patches Revised For Supporting OpenGL 4.0 On Intel Haswell With Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xelix View Post
    You lost me once more. These 4 instances that atomsymbol talks about are independent, why would they have to wait on each other?
    I'm aware they're independent. As I said before, each CPU core is paired up in a module. When you have 2 independent processes, you get half the performance because one core just sits there doing pretty much nothing. That core isn't doing anything because the other core is grabbing all the attention of the fetch, decode, and L2 cache.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I'm aware they're independent. As I said before, each CPU core is paired up in a module. When you have 2 independent processes, you get half the performance because one core just sits there doing pretty much nothing. That core isn't doing anything because the other core is grabbing all the attention of the fetch, decode, and L2 cache.
      This is incorrect. Having shared resources doesn't mean that the executions are completely serialized. This would completely defeat the purpose of having modules/SMT in the first place.

They are indeed competing for shared resources, but the two threads are load-balanced based on various criteria. The obvious one is long latency events (e.g. if one thread is stalled due to to a miss, you might as well start executing the other thread and overlap their execution).

One final note on caches. You mentioned the L2 cache being a serialization point. Modern caches are banked and can sustain several parallel requests.

Comment

Testing these patches now, so far

no ARMA 3 for Haswell.

Also Youtube-video stream lost video, audio only.

Comment

Re: HSW
          It looks like the patch series was mostly all reviewed.
          The only bit seems to be a couple of ideas about how to check whether okay to enable GL 4.0 on HSW.
          A 3rd or 4th alternative method was suggested and the thread seems to stop there.

Hope it gets merged soon!

Comment

Working...
          X