Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

Whats your point?
    His point is that the FastUIDraw renderer, which uses OpenGL is faster than the Cairo CPU/OpenGL/XLib renderer, probably because it doesn't have to accommodate the number of different back-ends that Cairo does.

Just because two renderers both use OpenGL doesn't mean they both do so with the same efficiency. For the moment, the FastUIDraw project seems to be more efficient with how it uses OpenGL to do 2D rendering.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

His point is that the FastUIDraw renderer, which uses OpenGL is faster than the Cairo CPU/OpenGL/XLib renderer, probably because it doesn't have to accommodate the number of different back-ends that Cairo does.

Just because two renderers both use OpenGL doesn't mean they both do so with the same efficiency. For the moment, the FastUIDraw project seems to be more efficient with how it uses OpenGL to do 2D rendering.
      That is not an excuse at all in my opinion as you can program around such inefficiencies.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

That is not an excuse at all in my opinion as you can program around such inefficiencies.
        That viewpoint speaks of such a deeply-seated divergence of opinion with the rest of the programming world that I wouldn't even know where to begin trying to change your mind.

Comment

Won me over with the MegaTexture reference.

Comment

I have a major concern about it. This talk doesn't fulfil a peer review conference talk (like siggraph). It claims it outperforms. But it doesn't refer explicitly which API is used. For Qt the benchmark application use the state of art of the Qt4 Painter, which is deprecated in favour of the Qt5 QML Graphic Scene. There is any explanation why the various implementations are slow.

And there is any reference to prior works like NV Path API, other implementations and publications etc.

I think it would be much more interesting to discuss how to implement an effective rendering that claiming things. NV claimed Path API long time ago and so what nowadays ??? I have the feeling it is much more complicated than streaming fmuladd.

Comment

I don't get what it is... Is it a gui toolkit like GTK and Qt or is it an API like Vulkan and OpenGL?

Me no understand, specific be more pliz

Comment

Working...
              X