Dota 2 Vulkan vs. OpenGL Numbers For Intel Skylake On Linux 4.8 + Mesa 12.1-dev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
    And 720p is the maximum resolution under 10 m human eye can appreciate, so if you are a gamer, probably you would use it or lower resolutions.
    Explain this to me please … I use a 4K monitor (at 160dpi) and I am very happy I bought the thing, because just about everything looks better with higher resolution (that is, pixel density).

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      Does anyone know the status of radv?
      Yea some progress report would be nice. Will it be "finished" soon? Just a very rough estimate. Weeks? Months?

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      I saw some commit that mentioned fixing a Dota 2 regression, but I'm assuming Dota 2 doesn't actually work yet, right?
      Still some wrong rendering but actually kinda playable and okay performance: https://youtu.be/IHFp0z8Vubk

Comment

It would be interesting to see a test like this with some weak Celeron type CPU. Vulkan is supposed to help in CPU limited situations the most.

Comment

Originally posted by jpprade View Post
          I am playing in dota 2 on an i7-6700 in 1080p other settings are not maxed but the game is at 100fps at start and drop to 60-70fps where there is a lot of actions. I guess the 17fps here in 1080p is when every setting is maxed. But the game is totaly playable.
          Wow, low-medium settings in dota 2. Maybe it can play pacman at max graphics :O

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            I just don't get it. These results aren't unexpected, (almost) everybody already knows Intel's only GPU that is just barely fast enough is Iris Pro. How many more benchmarks does Intel hardware have to prove that it isn't adequate for gaming before Intel finally decides on reasonable minimum specifications?

Exactly why does Intel feel like it needs to kill PC gaming?
            Indeed, you don't get it. There are two important factors:

1) Intel makes CPUs with integrated GPUs as one package, which is restricted in terms of how much power it can use. It's called the power budget, and nowadays it defines most if not all choices when it comes to designing and building chips.

2) Intel's real expertise is CPUs. They don't have Nvidia and AMD's knowledge and experience when it comes to building GPUs. As such, for a defined power budget, they are not (yet!) able to design a GPU as good as Nvidia or AMD could.

Intel is not trying to kill PC gaming. If they could have better GPUs without compromising on something else (total power budget, CPU performance, etc), they would do it immediately, as it would allow them to steal market shares from their competitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Xelix View Post

Indeed, you don't get it. There are two important factors:

1) Intel makes CPUs with integrated GPUs as one package, which is restricted in terms of how much power it can use. It's called the power budget, and nowadays it defines most if not all choices when it comes to designing and building chips.

2) Intel's real expertise is CPUs. They don't have Nvidia and AMD's knowledge and experience when it comes to building GPUs. As such, for a defined power budget, they are not (yet!) able to design a GPU as good as Nvidia or AMD could.

Intel is not trying to kill PC gaming. If they could have better GPUs without compromising on something else (total power budget, CPU performance, etc), they would do it immediately, as it would allow them to steal market shares from their competitors.
              I'll accept your #1 explanation as reasonable enough however unfortunate it is, but your #2 explanation is just so wrong. Every gamer already knows full well that if you can only upgrade one component then in that case the best component to upgrade is the GPU. For Intel this means they need to budget power appropriately for a decent GPU even if it means pairing a lower power CPU with a higher power GPU. It's basic common sense. You can bet your very last dollar Intel has the same basic common sense we do, so it obviously -must- have been an intentional choice.

The active affect is that they are killing PC gaming and common sense tells us it must have been a choice to do so.

Comment

I'll accept your #1 explanation as reasonable enough however unfortunate it is, but your #2 explanation is just so wrong. Every gamer already knows full well that if you can only upgrade one component then in that case the best component to upgrade is the GPU. For Intel this means they need to budget power appropriately for a decent GPU even if it means pairing a lower power CPU with a higher power GPU. It's basic common sense. You can bet your very last dollar Intel has the same basic common sense we do, so it obviously -must- have been an intentional choice.

The active affect is that they are killing PC gaming and common sense tells us it must have been a choice to do so.
                EDIT: I don't buy for one second that Intel doesn't have the expertise to implement a GPU capable of decent gaming performance, or that they can't figure out a way to budget power for it.

Comment

For Intel this means they need to budget power appropriately for a decent GPU even if it means pairing a lower power CPU with a higher power GPU. It's basic common sense. You can bet your very last dollar Intel has the same basic common sense we do, so it obviously -must- have been an intentional choice.

I agree with this. It's not like AMD/Ati or nVidia have a massive lead in terms of development history of GPUs, but they must be investing more than intel in this department, and intel deliberately segments their GPUs on top of that making matters worse and ensuring that their best GPUs are only used on machines that will probably end up just doing workstation... work.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

Wow, low-medium settings in dota 2. Maybe it can play pacman at max graphics :O
                    My 750ti is also around 90fps with drops to 50-60 but on high graphics and that's a decent dedicated graphics card. Same FPS with integrated graphics on medium/low is what you should expect from integrated graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

My 750ti is also around 90fps with drops to 50-60 but on high graphics and that's a decent dedicated graphics card. Same FPS with integrated graphics on medium/low is what you should expect from integrated graphics.
                      Hehe I was joking. iGPUs have come a long way, but not long enough. I'd like to see what AMD does with Zen APUs.

Comment

Working...
                      X