Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu & Debian Abandon Intel X.Org Driver For Most Hardware, Moves To Modesetting DDX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pq1930562 View Post

Wrong.

Tearing is entirely absent from Windows since Windows Vista and since the introduction of DWM (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_Window_Manager).

As long as you are using DWM (i.e. Aero enabled), there is no tearing whatsoever in Windows, regardless of what GPU you are using.

The Intel driver for Windows also has no tearing with DWM enabled, just like any other GPU on Windows with DWM enabled

The Windows desktop is entirely tear-free since ten years already:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/gre...-acceleration/

Composited window managers have existed on linux for even longer than that. They definitely do tear. Move a window, scroll, watch a movie, play a game. It's not hard to verify.

How can a make a screenshot that shows the tearing on a windows 7 machine so I can prove it to you? I repair windows computers, I see it everyday. I have two machines sitting right in front me of tearing as I speak.

I scrolled firefox just now, and yep, it's definitely tearing.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Composited window managers have existed on linux for even longer than that.
      But on Linux there unfortunately can even be tearing with compositing window managers, on Windows there definitely is no tearing at all when using DWM.

They definitely do tear.
      No, they do not. Not on Windows.

Move a window, scroll, watch a movie, play a game. It's not hard to verify.
      Actually it's hard (impossible) to verify tearing on Windows, since there is no tearing on Windows.

How can a make a screenshot that shows the tearing on a windows 7 machine so I can prove it to you?
      To make a screenshot showing actual tearing you would need to use a hardware capture card which captures the signal from the VGA/DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort output.

Or you could use an external camera to film your monitor.

I repair windows computers, I see it everyday. I have two machines sitting right in front me of tearing as I speak.
      Then you're definitely doing something wrong.

What kind of Windows version are you using? And what hardware are you using?

You need to use at least Windows Vista and you have to have Aero (DWM) enabled.

To enable DWM you need to make sure not to use the Basic Windows theme. You need to use the Aero Windows theme (on Windows Vista and Windows 7). On Windows 8/8.1/10, DWM is always enabled I think.

I scrolled firefox just now, and yep, it's definitely tearing.
      Impossible. Then you must be using a very old version of Windows (i.e. not Windows Vista and above) or you are using the Basic theme, i.e. you have DWM disabled.

Regards
      Last edited by pq1930562; 01 August 2016, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X