Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building A Cheap Intel Skylake System For Linux Use

Phoronix: Building A Cheap Intel Skylake System For Linux Use

Here are a few parts recommendations I have if you are looking to build a low-cost Intel Skylake system while achieving decent performance on Linux this holiday season.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At first I was like "500W is overkill for that system" but for the price you paid and for the quality of the product it seems like a good choice. Too bad those PSUs are only 80+ and not silver, gold, or platinum rated. Michael - considering how many of these PCs you have, I wonder how much your electric bill would drop if you went with gold-rated PSUs. You may have to pay more for the more efficient models but in the long run it could save you money.

Comment

I second 500W being too much for this system. You can probably shave a few bucks on the PSU without getting some crappy no-name. Packing it all in a nice mATX case can shave some additional pennies.
      Also, does AMD have anything within the same price and performance bracket? They used to, but I've lost track a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Also, does AMD have anything within the same price and performance bracket? They used to, but I've lost track a long time ago.
        If you value multi-core AMD is a good choice yes. They have fairly good 4 core procs for 80$ (without APU).
        But if you prefer faster dual core and low power consumption, Intel is unbeatable nowadays.

Comment

Could you circumvent the blobbed-up Skylake sound with a mothership's on-board sound chip?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Yeah some with A88x Chipset paired with Athlon 860k CPU + some card of course. If you prefer just APUs (no card) then same mobo do a job, fastest FM2+ combo should be APU A10-7870K paired with 2x2400 MHz and happy overclocking Thats for the black....

With AMD it come down to APUs in black and white boxes If you prefer to do overclocking got black box APU, if you prefer power conservation with cTDP pick white one (like A10-7800, A8-7600, etc...)
            Last edited by dungeon; 03 December 2015, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X