Intel Pentium G4400: Benchmarking A ~$60 Skylake Processor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by artivision View Post

Ok, Intel said that their Pentiums are based on the strong models "Haswell Pentium", if they had different units that would be fraud (different tech), so they have the same units. Then, from a 256-bit register you cannot cut the half, it isn't possible to cut half the unit (to any unit). That you can cut is an entire 256-bit unit or an entire ADD unit so you have only 256-bit MADD. Now on Skylake if they are two different techs 256-bit and 512-bit, then the desktop (i3 and Pentium) has the first and the server has the second. If they are only one tech this means that they all have 512-bit registers but i3 runs only the 256-bit AVX from the set. That doesn't mean that the rest of the unit is not usable or that you can cut it. Thats why "probably" the Skylake Pentium that is equal to Sandybridge i3 2120 massacres the i3 almost +50% on CRay.

The reason that i talk you back isn't a technical mistake that you made, but because you believe that there is a possible world where Intel wouldn't do that.
    Well, ok. What Intel is doing isn't something I can change. I am assuming Intel can justify some of their decisions.

Comment

Need to stick some graphics cards in the system to see how it scales in games and where the sweet spot would be for low budget gaming.

Comment

Why did you not add any other Skylake CPU's to the first page of benchmarks... and then the rest you have them, but nothing else from the first page. What is consistency for $500? *Jeopardy music*

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
          Wow. That means Intel now has a strategy of market sepearation through SIMD extensions support.

Xeon: Avx-512
          Core: Avx 1/2
          Pentium: SSE only
          pretty disgusting really!

Comment

Interesting article but highlights some rather stupid moves on Intels part.

in any event it has been a long time since I've see a performance line up with so many chips like is seen in the first couple of pages. This leads me to asking why so much hate for AMD solutions, many seem to get reasonable standings in the graphs? Anybody seriously considering this Intel solution would likely do just a s well with an AMD solution and likely get a better GPU for the same cost.

The other thing I have an issue with is the cost / performance ratings. For people that really have performance issues, that is performance is really an issue when bringing home the bacon, the metric is performance per second/minute/hour not dollars. For performance based usage the cost of the hardware often drops completely out of the picture. At least for workstation implementations, if you are attempting to build a cluster then that is another thing altogether, However in a single socket workstation the cost of the processor is trivial when one can leverage all the performance in that processor.

Comment

Maybe one year more or so is acceptible to see 2 core CPUs coming around in the market, after that Intel and AMD should really stop

Comment

Originally posted by darkfires View Post
                Why did you not add any other Skylake CPU's to the first page of benchmarks... and then the rest you have them, but nothing else from the first page. What is consistency for $500? *Jeopardy music*
                Those other Skylake systems aren't currently connected to that Phoromatic Server deployment (for LinuxBenchmarking.com).
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  Maybe one year more or so is acceptible to see 2 core CPUs coming around in the market, after that Intel and AMD should really stop
                  nah, these pentium processors are cheap as chips, many people only use their computer for web browsing and MS office. Kaby Lake will support native usb3.1 and hardware decoding of 10bit h265 and vp9 which will futureproof the processors for several years.

Comment

Why are they still using the name "pentium"? (a) that name's introduction went hand in hand with "so hot it might set your house on fire", and (b) it means **FIVE**, as in, i80586.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
                      nah, these pentium processors are cheap as chips, many people only use their computer for web browsing and MS office.
                      There are cheapest things for that, low power Kabini, Braswell, etc... is enough there, even those are mostly 4 cores albeit little ones.

Kaby Lake will support native usb3.1 and hardware decoding of 10bit h265 and vp9 which will futureproof the processors for several years.
                      Talking about bright future, those features for the masses only starts to make sense maybe year from now. And i know Kano is always in hurry for 12bit, but rest of the world can wait

2 core CPUs in 2017. does not make sense... i know there will be 2 core CPUs from Intel and AMD in 2016., but i hope somewhere in 2017. they will stop that
                      Last edited by dungeon; 30 November 2015, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X