Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Intel Iris Pro 6200 Graphics Fast Enough For Steam Linux Gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
    Stop being lame. Resolutions like 800x600 and 1024x768 are quite common for old PCs (as they scale reasonably on 4:3 LCDs and so on, so if your hardware can't render at full LCD resolution fast enough, these are acceptable option). And them, 1280x1024 LCDs are VERY common for cheap "office-grade" PCs, and it is quite unlikely weird resolutions like 1600x900 are more popular than that. In fact 1600x900 is quite uncommon as far as I know and 1366x768 is usually used on notebooks which are clearly not meant for gaming at all. So what is the point to make these benchmarks? And 2560x1440 (or x1600)? Hnm, do you honestly think Intel integrated crap can deal with it properly? It is quite demanding, after all.
    Do you honestly think, that someone willing to pay 400$ for CPU is using some ancient CRT(or one of the first LCDs) with resolution of 800x600?
    I see no reason why these games shouldn't be playable at 1440p since they run at 70/150 fps at 1080p.

Comment

So...the Intel Top Star as for iGPU goes, with a price tag much larger than it's direct competition, can't beat up AMD Kaveri (Refresh) in LINUX...even if AMD tries its best to screw Catalyst

Comment

Th is is Intel's very first half decent GPU. Honestly I would only recommend the ones with integrated eDRAM. After all these decades Intel finally released something decent.

Comment

Well it seems even faster than everything that AMD has right now - maybe with the exception of the Xbox One GPU. What do you think would happen if MS switches over to Intel for next Xbox One upgrade?

Comment

Very interesting, I wonder how AMD will respond, but we will have to wait a year, do to the new 14nm fab processes.

Comment

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
              i wonder about this post... im able to play Civilization V, TeamFortress 2, Dota 2, Half Life 2 on my core i3 laptop... of course i did some changes in graphics settings... by the way im not that hard core gamer ive played several minutes (~30 minutes) to test those games. i like casual indie puzzle games more and im really ok with my laptop for games ahhaah

I brought this up when he did an APU review under the same context. My old llano could "play" games and at playable frame rates, even if some had to be 720p. OFC super meat boy like or VVVVVVVVV games that can play on a toaster are also steam games.

Short answer yes this chip with onboard graphics is fast enough to play steam games... DUH.

caveat is that maxium detail may not be always realistic and resolution probably has to be 1080p at most. There... My review is 2 lines don't own the chip and it's 100% not click bait.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Well it seems even faster than everything that AMD has right now - maybe with the exception of the Xbox One GPU. What do you think would happen if MS switches over to Intel for next Xbox One upgrade?

AMD'S APU GPU's are still VERY strong compared to Intels offerings, however bottle necked by ram. Once the APU's start using HBM it'll be when AMD takes over completely in the APU market, sadly that isn't slated to happen until 2017, XBONE and PS4 will not switch their guts out for anything other than node shrinks as some games would break. Next console upgrade won't be until 4k is realistic on these machines and probably 5 years away. If AMD does end up dying before then Intel very well maybe the next generation but they have a SERIOUS upgrade in graphics needed to be done first.

Comment

not possible at this price point

Comment

I very much doubt that. The biggest benefit consoles have over PCs is that specs never change. The target is always the same. It would break a huge benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post
                      Very interesting, I wonder how AMD will respond, but we will have to wait a year, do to the new 14nm fab processes.
                      Which really sucks ass. I wish it didn't have to be this way. I wish Global Foundries would die so that AMD would have to deal with Samsung or IBM. Out of all the foundries capable of fabricating large scale logic Global Foundries is by far the furthest behind.

EDIT: Which makes sense. The facts are AMD was spending less actual money on fabrication when they were sole proprieters of their own foundry. They are getting fewer dies because the process node is bigger and each one costs more now than ever before. Maybe it's true that selling the foundry helped pay off debt, but in the end all it really did was force inferiority on them.

EDIT2: Dirk Meyers.... Worst CEO EVAR!!
                      Last edited by duby229; 14 July 2015, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X