Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel GMA X4500HD

Phoronix: Intel GMA X4500HD

Earlier this month Intel had announced the GMA X4500 series, which is their latest and greatest when it comes to integrated graphics processors. These IGPs were greeted by same-day Linux support (it had actually arrived before the chipset was announced), but it's still next to impossible to find motherboards using the G43 and G45 Chipsets that bear this IGP. Fortunately, however, our friends at Super Micro have come through and we have managed to get our hands on the C2SEA. The Super Micro C2SEA is an ATX motherboard that uses the Intel G45 Chipset in conjunction with an ICH10 Southbridge. This motherboard provides Intel GMA X4500HD graphics with VGA and HDMI interfaces. In this article, we are looking at the performance of this new Intel graphics processor under Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great! I was looking forward to this test.

I ordered Intels DG45ID!

Comment

Wow, this could be misleading for the average Joe:

ATI HD4500 vs Intel 4500HD
      It wouldn't be so bad if they were neck to neck performance wise.
      I'm wondering how they'll compare.

Comment

great article

Wonderful news, really and THANK YOU Intel for this great HW *and* SW effort. Finally, waiting for 3D card with reasonable performance for everyday use (I guess PS3 - grade graphics?) and quality open drivers is over. Historically, I had many proprietary blobs in my computer and hated each and every of them with passion: various media codecs, nvidia driver, wifi driver, adobe pdf reader, java jvm, flash, nero... It seems, as soon as I get one of these Centrino 2 X4500HD boxes, Flash plugin is last on this list, waiting for adequate F/OSS replacement. Also, upgrade to 64-bit system should be non-issue in this case.

Comment

I guess PS3 - grade graphics?
          PS3 = Playstation 3?

If so, not by far. While the PS3 video processor isn't a powerhouse by today's standards (about equivalent to a high-end G70), the X4500HD doesn't even come close

That said, performance looks very reasonable and driver support is a big plus. I wonder how this piece compares to AMD's integrated HD3200 - any chance for a feature/performance comparison soon?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
            PS3 = Playstation 3?

If so, not by far. While the PS3 video processor isn't a powerhouse by today's standards (about equivalent to a high-end G70), the X4500HD doesn't even come close
            Radeon X1800 XT (in this test) has equal performance as nVidia 7800 which is inside PS3, so unless somebody present benchmarks, I have no reason to believe PS3 can be much faster then Intel X4500. Also, driver for Intel's new chip is in its first iterations, so lets see how it will improve in time and lets wait for more benchmarks comparing both cards.

Comment

Originally posted by mirza View Post
              Radeon X1800 XT (in this test) has equal performance as nVidia 7800 which is inside PS3, so unless somebody present benchmarks, I have no reason to believe PS3 can be much faster then Intel X4500. Also, driver for Intel's new chip is in its first iterations, so lets see how it will improve in time and lets wait for more benchmarks comparing both cards.
              You're talking about intel graphics here. I think it's brave of your to have such high hopes for intel graphics performace. Usually Intel graphics are great for just plain "Working good" but performance is less than average. Though I kinda hope I'm wrong about this one.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueKoala View Post
                You're talking about intel graphics here. I think it's brave of your to have such high hopes for intel graphics performace.
                I don't have any special hopes regarding any graphic card. I just look at benchmarks and draw conclusions from that. So far, only 2 benchmarks of X4500HD are available on the web (AFAIK) and it looks this card has similar performance to what is inside PS3. That is not quite "high-end" by current standards, but I wouldn't even consider buying additional card, if I had this one integrated inside my chipset. Especially given driver quality.

Comment

Can't wait for a complete comparison

That's funny, I've been watching DirectCanada and NCIX everyday for the past few weeks to see if they get any G45 Mobo's on their sites, and NCIX had this one today.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...=GA-EG45M-DS2H

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...cture=Gigabyte

Although they don't have any in stock yet, at least we know they are coming soon.

But lately I've been focusing on trying the AM2 based boards, the 780g and GF8200 (don't have a GF8200 yet, but I will be ordering one soon), and I even jumped the gun last year getting the 690g. And even have a BE-2350 and a 4850e.

I am MOST interested to see the power consumption comparisons for all of these chipsets in idle and while playing some H.264 content. My HTPC is running 24/7. Hoping to somehow be able to play uncompressed 1080p content in linux with one of these chipsets, I really want to get away from depending on Windows for my HTPC.

Mythbuntu 8.10 is going to be awesome on all these new boards.

Comment

Originally posted by mirza View Post
                    The PS3 doesn't use any computer graphics card, it uses a special one made specially for it, though it is in the later 7 series.

Also this is misleading
                    Originally posted by the article
                    In addition, once Gallium3D goes mainstream with users they will be able to benefit from a generic GPU video decoding, which relies upon the graphics processor's shaders.
                    That is a generic interface for gallium drivers, to have video decoding, but it is limited to the specs, for now, that means XvMC, so it will only provide MPEG-2/-4(I think XvMC supports this???), unless VAAPI comes or XvMC is extended

Comment

Working...
                    X