Intel's Cherry Trail Delayed To Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel NUC

I would really love to see a Intel NUC with the Cherry Trail.

Especially if it was done right.
    Done right would be passively cooled (fan less), 4x USB 3, DisplayPort and HDMI. Ethernet, Bluetooth, IR, NFC and Wi-Fi. M.2 and eSATA.

Comment

Actually I'm more interested in what might be considered a sealed design. Something that can operate in dusty environments with out an internal cooling system. Passively cooled could work but supporting an external fan would be nice. A computer brick if you will not unlike some of those power supply bricks used in electronics.

Why?

Maintainability for one. Adapbility into control panels and other apparatus for another.
      Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I would really love to see a Intel NUC with the Cherry Trail.

Especially if it was done right.
      Would it be a Nuc if it is done right?
      Done right would be passively cooled (fan less), 4x USB 3, DisplayPort and HDMI. Ethernet, Bluetooth, IR, NFC and Wi-Fi. M.2 and eSATA.
      Err you go way over board there with some features. Here is my line up:
      1. Lots of USB ports, it wouldnt hurt if some of them where USB 2. The target here is applications where I/O is more important. i also worry about USB 3 wattage requirements.
      2. HDMI should be supported but id rather see a new advanced port TB. it just offers more flexibility.
      3. Ethernet is a requirement!
      4. id rather see the Flash SSD on a PCI Express port and completely dump other legacy storage ports. As such I'm still not convinced that M.2 is the way of the future. Sadly the industry just hasn't latched upon any one PCI Express based solution.

The other problem is that a sealed up computer makes access to storage ports difficult.
      5. RF ports are a mixed bag really. I'd almost would say another Ethernet port would make more sense. The exception here might be Blutooth but a lot of installations don't like the existence of RF networking ports on hardware.
      6. 4GB of RAM should be mandatory minimum.

Comment

Working...
      X