No announcement yet.

Intel Releases OpenGL 4.3 Driver For Haswell... On Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think they should focus on getting Mesa on open source OSes that don't have it instead of looking at supporting Windows with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
      I'm still waiting for somebody smarter than me to compile the major Linux FOSS drivers for use on Windows. Once the companies realize "hey, we can support ALL of our platforms from this ONE driver that is WAY BETTER than our proprietary one!" I feel like we may see a large size increase in the FOSS driver development teams.

I mean, Mesa IS supposed to be "cross platform" right? (at the very least, Gallium should be platform-agnostic enough for it to work... if Mesa turns out not to be, AMD/Nvidia could just write an OpenGL state-tracker for the Windows version)
      Mesa itself already runs fine on Windows, and companies like VMWare rely on that functionality.

The various OSS drivers, however, like i965, r600g, nouveau, etc. do not. In particular, they rely heavily on integration with the kernel module code running inside the linux kernel.

While that's been ported to other *nixes with varying degrees of success, porting that code to run in the Windows kernel would require some major work.

Comment

Working...
      X