Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The K1 is actually quite power efficient

Originally posted by supercilious View Post
    What is the test bench for the Intel results exactly? Which CPU package, board and RAM, and at what power level?

The NVidia board pulls nearly 11W, far far too high for a tablet or phone: http://developer.download.nvidia.com...ef_May2014.pdf
    Typical tablet use ranges from 0.6 - 4.74W for SOC + Ram. I know this from my own testing on my own Jetson TK1 with a multimeter patched into the DC line.

Eleven Watts is a peak number for the entire board that can only be hit under the most extreme loads when all the CUDA cores are lit up. And the board isn't optimized for mobile - it has full range of desktop interfaces that draw substantial power.

The CPU is around 45% more efficient per cycle than the Tegra 4 thanks to a15 r3p3 cores and experience from the T41. And the IPC is really quite impressive, beating the i3 in some benchmarks. They also smoke the Snapdragon 801 and 805 CPUs and the 801's GPU. The 805 might match the raw capability of the TK1 GPU, but will likely not have the API support already shipping with the K1.

We are already seeing the K1 show up on production tablets. The Xiaomi MiPad and Shield 2 are confirmed; the new Nexus tablet and set-top box are very likely "Powered by Tegra TK1(tm)". Combining the power of the NVidia hardware, drivers, and brand with Google seems to be the most effective means to counter Apple's push into the gaming space, at least at present.

The NUK looks like it draws more power at idle (4.4W vs 2.7W) and less at peak (10W vs 11W). But the NUK GPU doesn't look competitive. Not sure about compute. How about you look that up and report back?

[1] An interesting side note: I sent my Asus TF701T in for repair recently as it got stuck in a boot loader loop, and I didn't want to void the warranty by rooting it. When it came back, I found to my pleasant surprise that its battery life was substantially improved. I'm guessing they swapped the SOC, and the latest T4's benefit from the same power-saving tech that made it into the Tegra Note.

Comment

Originally posted by supercilious View Post
      What is the test bench for the Intel results exactly? Which CPU package, board and RAM, and at what power level?

The NVidia board pulls nearly 11W, far far too high for a tablet or phone: http://developer.download.nvidia.com...ef_May2014.pdf

As per my last post, power draw for the K1 looks to be quite reasonable, and we are seeing multiple tablet devices. Now it looks like at least one smartphone, if this article is to be believed.:

Sridhar Ramaswamy hinted that we will see more Tegra K1 tablet come out, in addition, there are manufacturers using Tegra K1 will launch smart phone . In addition, NVIDIA Shield own handheld will also be upgraded to the Tegra K1-chip system during the year.
      It should be an interesting year!

Comment

Working...
      X