No announcement yet.

Intel Continues Optimizing Counter-Strike: GO For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While we're at it, lets make all music open source!

/sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post

/sarcasm
      Open Movies! Free Movies for EVERYONE!

/sarcasm as well

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        Did you know that I don't care? and 99% of gamers don't either.
        I knew that you didn't care, did you know that I don't care if you and the 99%[citation needed] of gamers don't care?

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        I knew it wasn't free as in freedom when I bought a license for it, and I'm ok with that.

anyway, this doesn't change the fact that Enemy Territory is better

Comment

Originally posted by Annabel View Post
          I knew that you didn't care, did you know that I don't care if you and the 99%[citation needed] of gamers don't care?

anyway, this doesn't change the fact that Enemy Territory is better
          Why is Enemy Territory "better" barring license? That would seem to be a subjective claim, but I'd like to know your reasons for making it. Academic interest and all that. Also, I'm an asshole (but forget that part).

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post

/sarcasm
            What's wrong with Josh Woodward? or punk rock like Sinkhole's Retrospectacles?

Comment

Originally posted by Larian View Post
              Why is Enemy Territory "better" barring license? That would seem to be a subjective claim, but I'd like to know your reasons for making it. Academic interest and all that. Also, I'm an asshole (but forget that part).
              1. Many user-made mods and maps
              2. Easy to make your own mods and change any aspect of the game
              3. It's easy to make maps with freely obtainable and easy to use tools
              4. FOSS/Free as in beer
              5. Low hardware requirements, so even if you have an old computer (or a computer with intel graphics like me ) you can still play it
              6. You don't need to have steam installed
              7. Very configurable
              8. The game has stood the test of time, as many people still play it
              9. The game mechanics are simple, and many think that's what makes the game fun
              10. It's not bloated like most modern FPS
              11. It's written in C, the best imperative programming language
              12. Skill instead of a couple of lucky shots
              13. John Carmack Id QUALITY
              14. Based on a modified Quake 3 engine, which is used in many other games (so it must be good, because there's a lot of choice for game engines)
              15. Since it's free as in freedom many people have created some interesting forks and still update it (ex: etlegacy)
              16. Portable, there are even ports to AROS
              17. The download is relatively small, yet you can still experience the stuff you get in more modern games, or even a similar experience to counter strike
              18. DRM free
              19. Class based (soldier, medic, engineer, field ops, covert ops)
              20. Objective based
              21. CS:GO has Valve anti-cheat which has a bit of a history for false positives (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_..._and_rationale)
              Last edited by Annabel; 27 January 2014, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by powdigsig View Post
                What's wrong with Josh Woodward? or punk rock like Sinkhole's Retrospectacles?
                No, no, nothing wrong with it. I'm just not one of the people who would like to see game developers (who already are having trouble staying in the green) or artists (who also have the same problem) of any kind (yes that includes software development) who are criticized for having their career as a means to make a living.

Because that's what people mean when they say, "Open-source all games! You should feel bad that you're making people have to pay to get a license for a game on steam."
                Last edited by profoundWHALE; 27 January 2014, 03:38 PM.

Comment

We need a Phoronix Group in Steam/the Steam community. Michael!!

Comment

Originally posted by Annabel View Post
                    1. Many user-made mods and maps
                    2. Easy to make your own mods and change any aspect of the game
                    3. It's easy to make maps with freely obtainable and easy to use tools
                    4. FOSS/Free as in beer
                    5. Low hardware requirements, so even if you have an old computer (or a computer with intel graphics like me ) you can still play it
                    6. You don't need to have steam installed
                    7. Very configurable
                    8. The game has stood the test of time, as many people still play it
                    9. The game mechanics are simple, and many think that's what makes the game fun
                    10. It's not bloated like most modern FPS
                    11. It's written in C, the best imperative programming language
                    12. Skill instead of a couple of lucky shots
                    13. John Carmack Id QUALITY
                    14. Based on a modified Quake 3 engine, which is used in many other games (so it must be good, because there's a lot of choice for game engines)
                    15. Since it's free as in freedom many people have created some interesting forks and still update it (ex: etlegacy)
                    16. Portable, there are even ports to AROS
                    17. The download is relatively small, yet you can still experience the stuff you get in more modern games, or even a similar experience to counter strike
                    18. DRM free
                    19. Class based (soldier, medic, engineer, field ops, covert ops)
                    20. Objective based
                    21. CS:GO has Valve anti-cheat which has a bit of a history for false positives (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_..._and_rationale)
                    1. Same for CS:GO. There are thousands of them and people even make money off of their own mods through community key sales that Valve shares with the community.
                    2. Same for CS:GO and Source games in gneral.
                    3. Same for CS:GO.
                    4. So? That doesn't make it a better game.
                    5. Of course it has lower requirements... it's older and uglier. Valve's games are hardly demanding though, most modern GPUs can handle them at least on low.
                    6. And?
                    7. Same for CS:GO.
                    8. CS predates Enemy Territory, so I'm not sure where you're going with that one.
                    9. Same for CS...
                    10. Same.
                    11. Are you joking me? The game is better because of the language it's written in?
                    12. CS is one of the top competitive esport games right now because of how much skill it requires...
                    13. And Valve's code isn't quality? You know Valve's lead designer is Michael Abrash, of Quake 1 fame?
                    14. Again, why does the engine matter so much here? On top of that, Source is more successful than any id engine since the 90's...
                    15. People still make mods for the original Half-Life. Not sure your point here.
                    16. Sure, which is why we're so excited for CS:GO to get its Linux x86 port soon.
                    17. You short on storage space?
                    18. Steam's DRM, as mentioned many times, is as much a service as a hinderance. It make game saves, configuration, friends management, item and mod downloading and many other services possible.
                    19. Okay. So is Team Fortress, which is now a Valve property and which inspired much of Enemy Territory.
                    20. Similar to the above, this is more of a style choice than a 'better game' situation.
                    21. The only known false positives were always fixed, as shown in your link. Most false positives are just hackers who are mad that they can't play anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                      Phoronix: Intel Continues Optimizing Counter-Strike: GO For Linux

Another patch hit mainline Mesa this past week that further improves the Linux performance of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive even though Valve has yet to publicly release the title for Linux gamers...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU4NDU
                      Maybe I am misreading the headline or text, but isn't Intel optimizing their driver/Mesa!?
                      Headline says, they are optimizing CS:GO.

Well, the latter is surely better for ads...

Comment

Working...
                      X