No announcement yet.

SteamOS vs. Ubuntu 13.10 - Intel HD Graphics Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess you are all missing the point out here.
    Its obvious that SteamOS it is just another distro.

Yet, they are just starting, there isn't too many custom things yet, maybe when they costumize more things will get better.
    Its still on beta anyway.

Other thing too, is that the SteamOS will definitely bring a lot of the attention to dev's and GPU and other drivers manufacters.
    So things will for sure get better with more support.
    And SteamOS or any other distro will recieve even more support and things will start to work better, thats all we are waiting for.

Regards

Comment

There are no AAA games yet. Apart from the valve games... and some indie games... I hope GTA5, Batlefield 4, Elder Scroll 6, PES 2014, etc.

Comment

I hope I will have a Fallout (preferably from Obsidian) running on Linux, some day.

Comment

Originally posted by felipe View Post
          There are no AAA games yet. Apart from the valve games... and some indie games... I hope GTA5, Batlefield 4, Elder Scroll 6, PES 2014, etc.
          Metro: Last Light is AAA, it is even one of the title that usually part of most system benchmark under windows, sadly the benchmark tool is absent from the Linux build, along all the graphic option which have been replaced with a slider.

Comment

99% of FPS performance is based on video drivers anyway. So don't expect too much difference from other distros or Windows IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by winnitro View Post
              The community expects that Steam OS makes Miracles, but he's just another distro.
              and god bless that fact. if steamos would be faster by miles it would mean there is something wrong with open process they have. but, then again fps>60 is limit where all other responsiveness becomes way more important.

as far as good upcoming games, i'm quietly drooling for this one https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/. still, even if i look now at steam i got more than enough good games which i'll buy on steam to wait till end of 2014. i just hope decadence will be released before that. don't know why, but as soon as i saw decadence gameplay i got intrigued by it more than any AAA title

Comment

Maybe it would have been better the work on Ubuntu and target 14.04 since by the time SteamOS is release Trusty Tahr ready and it's a long term support (LTS) distribution. Oh well just hope they push in some newer software technologies to improve the functionality and speed.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                  as far as good upcoming games, i'm quietly drooling for this one https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/
                  I had no idea Lord British was still producing games. If it's anywhere near Ultima in quality, it will be far above today's standards.

EDIT: Obviously I mean on the story.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                    I had no idea Lord British was still producing games. If it's anywhere near Ultima in quality, it will be far above today's standards.

EDIT: Obviously I mean on the story.
                    well, as far as i read you had the right idea. this is his big comeback and ever since i read sota+linux i can't get my self to really enjoy any game. same as for decadence. don't even understand why, but gameplay video is simply too intriguing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxB2HEUSNdg (warning, not even nearly AAA title, but... then again, ppl said uncharted 3 is AAA and it was one of the worst games i ever played). some really nice times for my linux gaming in future for me

also, to complete my previous comment about importance of other things in game (input lag being my most important one for me). it seems rt is in just for that in this nvidia release

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                      same as for decadence. don't even understand why, but gameplay video is simply too intriguing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxB2HEUSNdg (warning, not even nearly AAA title, but... then again, ppl said uncharted 3 is AAA and it was one of the worst games i ever played). some really nice times for my linux gaming in future for me
                      I agree a lot. As for being AAA, I don't really care. There are too many AAA games which I find really lacking of any interesting bit. There are some quite appealing, though, but most of them I find them to rely too much in graphics and physics, and I get most of my fun from the story, in the general case.

Comment

Working...
                      X