Ubuntu 13.10 Can Outperform OS X 10.9 On Intel OpenGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
    Phoronix this is a request for a in depth comparison between OS X 10.9 and Ubuntu 13.10 (or other distros) in general terms

meaning, h264 encoding, computing benchmarks

the works
    As already said, this is coming in later articles...
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

It's nice to see such improvements, but... this tests are being done with pure X.org, while end users will use XMir, so this is misleading. If only Ubuntu would stick to X.org until they have a really functional Mir (or switch again to Wayland by that time, would be even better IMO).

Comment

it's a non issue since, even with the intel oss driver, you can use pure x.org by deactivating xmir

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
          it's a non issue since, even with the intel oss driver, you can use pure x.org by deactivating xmir
          No. A normal user will probably not know how. It's using X.org because:
          A) You can read it at the beginning of the article.
          B) The alpha still uses X.org by default and you have to add a PPA to test XMir.

Also, in 14.04 the X.org fallback will not be supported, so it will probably be unreliable.

EDIT: If you mean to me, yeah, is a non issue since I use Xubuntu, in any case. I'm not saying because it affects me, but because it affects a lot of other people, including some friends of mine.

Comment

Working...
          X