Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel X.Org Update Restores 830GM/845G Acceleration

Phoronix: Intel X.Org Update Restores 830GM/845G Acceleration

Chris Wilson of Intel OTC put out another point release to the xf86-video-intel 2.20.x DDX driver on Saturday...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Curiously the old UMS drivers never hung my 830 gpu. Make of that what you will.

Comment

Did the old UMS driver have EXA? If not, it didn't hang because it wasn't accelerating anything anyway.

Comment

I don't remember whether that was before, after, or during the great EXA transition. But it was certainly before XAA offscreen pixmap accel was disabled, so even if it was XAA, it accelerated copies.

It certainly did XV and 3d, though the 3d was barely good enough for simple screensavers. I remember trying OA on it for giggles, and at 640x480 low it wasn't playable.

Comment

Intel vs AMD

AMD drops support for old graphics cards.
          Intel adds support for old graphics.

Comment

The GMCH on this pair of chipsets is notoriously incoherent, so the GPU is almost certainly going to hang at some point, --
            Wow, surely seems like quality hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              AMD drops support for old graphics cards.
              Intel adds support for old graphics.
              I think you got that backwards. AMD still supports cards older than these through the OSS drivers, and they don't say you should expect them to crash all the time either.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                I think you got that backwards. AMD still supports cards older than these through the OSS drivers, and they don't say you should expect them to crash all the time either.
                Yeah, but on the proprietary Catalyst driver, they just dropped support for graphics card that was just some years old.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
                  Wow, surely seems like quality hardware.
                  Yeah, I had one of those for awhile. Wrong settings in the hardware so it would only display corruption unless patched on boot, opengl screensavers only showing on 1/3rd of the screen, even when dimmed a normal brightness square around the cursor. I don't recall crashes, but there were enough problems I was glad to give it up.

(This would have been 7ish years ago)

Comment

I recycled all of my 845 systems. I bought an Nvidia card for the only customer I had that used one. It wasn't worth fighting with.

Comment

Working...
                    X