Intel Linux Devs Begins Looking At 3D Monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CrystalCowboy View Post
    Passive systems use lighter glasses, w/o batteries, but they do so by sacrificing half the pixel resolution. I.e. using polarization, half the pixels go to the left eye and half to the right eye.
    Do you say this from experience or from "general knowledge"? What I understand from reading a review (can't find) is that each eye sees only half the resolution (of course), but the brain combines the result so that in the end very little visual information is lost.

Comment

For visualization I'd like access to this. Basically the interface should allow me to show a left and a right image in a viewport and those should show up properly in a window. No special opengl drivers, etc. This should be the future with hdmi1.4a compliant displays and should allow programs to not care what 3d tech is used.

Today if someone has a passive fixed alternating scanlines, just line interleave the left and right images. Simplest case if the user drags the window down by one pixel they need to press a button themselves to swap the interleave (or just programatically keep track of the vertical window position on the monitor). I believe zalman and the new viewsonic 3d monitors use this technique. The viewsonic is pretty cheap, zalman used to be reasonable.

iz3d had an interesting passive display, the monitor actually took 2 video inputs and showed up as a dual display. The left and right images had to be processed together to give front (polarization) and back (combined image) displays. The monitor was very inexpensive, had some minor bleeding issues, but is now discontinued. Setting up the multi head and identifying the front and back displays is sort of a configuration headache.

Comment

Working...
      X