Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweaks To Extend The Battery Life Of Intel Linux Notebooks

Phoronix: Tweaks To Extend The Battery Life Of Intel Linux Notebooks

While the Linux power consumption may be up on recent kernels depending upon your hardware configuration, there's a few known but not too commonly used tweaks for reducing your system power consumption and extending your battery life when using Intel integrated graphics on your favorite Linux distribution.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not quite sure what intel chips are affected by these settings. Is my 965 intel core2duo thinkpad affected?

Comment

Wow, very interesting article.
      Need to try some of these tweaks on my Sandy Bridge notebook.

Comment

finally!
        performance and power consumption in one article!

Comment

Some of these features, e.g. the LVDS downclocking has been in several generations of hardware. So it is worth trying it.
          Posting your findings would be useful.

Comment

Awesome article, just a minor nitpick:
            These options can be added to ... the grub.cfg file to be made permanent ...
            Uhh, no. The next kernel upgrade or anything that triggers update-grub will wipe it. Put the options into the /etc/default/grub file:
            Code:
            GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="<put options here> quiet splash"
            Don't forget to then run update-grub.

Comment

Interesting that minimal power draw with all options disabled is about 13 watts while it was 19 watts when 3.1 regression spotted. (vs about 14 watts in 3.0)
              So no more additional power regressions in 3.1?

now using i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 for about a day on my asus u41sv without any hangs, power consumption down to 2.6.39 level
              Last edited by CrazyIvan; 24 August 2011, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Another way, is putting the options in a file (e.g. "options.conf") under "/etc/modprobe.d":

Code:
                sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/options.conf
                Then add the following line:

Code:
                options i915 i915_enable_fbc=1 i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1
                Save the file and run the following command:

Code:
                sudo update-initramfs -u -k all
                This way is much more elegant than putting everything in the GRUB-config file.

Comment

Umm

Originally posted by myxal View Post
                  Awesome article, just a minor nitpick:
                  These options can be added to ... the grub.cfg file to be made permanent ...
                  Uhh, no. The next kernel upgrade or anything that triggers update-grub will wipe it. Put the options into the /etc/default/grub file:
                  Code:
                  GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="<put options here> quiet splash"
                  Don't forget to then run update-grub.
                  Umm, no.

This is only true if this is how your specific distribution manages grub.conf. Debian does this, and I assume Ubuntu does as well, but this is not necessarily true for all distributions.
                  Last edited by SpoonMeiser; 24 August 2011, 08:43 AM. Reason: trying to fix quoted text

Comment

Originally posted by SpoonMeiser View Post
                    Umm, no.

This is only true if this is how your specific distribution manages grub.conf. Debian does this, and I assume Ubuntu does as well, but this is not necessarily true for all distributions.
                    As /etc/default/grub is referenced by the GRUB manual, I must assume that distros that don't use it are the "outsiders".

Comment

Working...
                    X