Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Xe Kernel GPU Driver Starts Landing SR-IOV Bits & Other Features For Linux 6.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Xe Kernel GPU Driver Starts Landing SR-IOV Bits & Other Features For Linux 6.9

Phoronix: Intel Xe Kernel GPU Driver Starts Landing SR-IOV Bits & Other Features For Linux 6.9

Upstreamed for Linux 6.8 is the experimental Xe kernel graphics driver that is a modern replacement to the "i915" Direct Rendering Manager driver. The Xe kernel driver targets Tigerlake graphics and newer while it won't be until Lunar Lake / Xe2 when it aims to become the default driver for Intel iGPU/dGPU graphics. For the upcoming Linux 6.9 kernel merge window are more feature changes and fixes to this new open-source Intel kernel graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

really hope sr-iov will support consumer cards, it's not a high hope, im not expecting it. but I do wish it

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
      really hope sr-iov will support consumer cards, it's not a high hope, im not expecting it. but I do wish it
      I would buy one immediately if that were the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
        Intel iGPUs on some recent gen CPUs have SR-IOV support. For the discrete cards, just like AMD and NVIDIA, market segmentation is still being applied (i.e. only the datacenter card's firmware announce the capability). I do not recall anyone suggesting the next gen consumer Battlemage GPU's are going to support SR-IOV, but one can certainly wish.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Intel iGPUs on some recent gen CPUs have SR-IOV support. For the discrete cards, just like AMD and NVIDIA, market segmentation is still being applied (i.e. only the datacenter card's firmware announce the capability). I do not recall anyone suggesting the next gen consumer Battlemage GPU's are going to support SR-IOV, but one can certainly wish.
          They do have support in hardware but no software utilizes it. On Windows WSL-g and Windows Sandbox use it, or any HyperV VM if you fiddle enough with it. On Linux side it does not work at all. I've been waiting for this since I bought my laptop. On my old laptop, GVT-g worked. On this one, nothing works.

Comment

Originally posted by plantroon View Post

They do have support in hardware but no software utilizes it. On Windows WSL-g and Windows Sandbox use it, or any HyperV VM if you fiddle enough with it. On Linux side it does not work at all. I've been waiting for this since I bought my laptop. On my old laptop, GVT-g worked. On this one, nothing works.
            wslg, Hyper-v on PC/Workstation windows versions and windows sandbox do not use SR-IOV, they utilize driver passthrough, it's more analogous to virtio-native-context.

On windows server im not sure, but it would probably fall under DDA

Comment

I remember that before the currently available Intel Alchemist GPUs were released a presentation had mentioned that they would have SR-IOV, it just failed to specify that it wouldn't be usable on all GPUs of the family. To this day my ears perk up every time I see mention of SR-IOV for Intel GPUs. If it ever becomes usable on consumer discrete GPUs I'll definitely be very interested too.

Comment

Working...
              X