Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Striving To Overhaul Their Multiple Ethernet Linux Drivers: "The Great Code Dedup"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Striving To Overhaul Their Multiple Ethernet Linux Drivers: "The Great Code Dedup"

Phoronix: Intel Striving To Overhaul Their Multiple Ethernet Linux Drivers: "The Great Code Dedup"

Intel engineers maintain multiple Ethernet drivers in the Linux kernel for their wide-range of networking hardware from consumer to high-end data center wares. There's been an ongoing effort to overhaul their Ethernet driver management to reduce code duplication between the different drivers for better code sharing and with an end goal of more unification...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder how they managed to get where they are. I don't shy away from duplicating code when it seems reasonable to do so, but I will always open a follow-up task to clean that up. Or at least insert a TODO in the code as indication for the next person.

The worst comes when you duplicate, don't de-dup and then people start adding various hacks to various instances of what was once the same code. That's a nightmare to get back into working shape.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      I wonder how they managed to get where they are. I don't shy away from duplicating code when it seems reasonable to do so, but I will always open a follow-up task to clean that up. Or at least insert a TODO in the code as indication for the next person.

The worst comes when you duplicate, don't de-dup and then people start adding various hacks to various instances of what was once the same code. That's a nightmare to get back into working shape.
      Exactly

1. Make it work
      2. Make it right
      3. Make it fast

Comment

Nice. I mean, imagine how bad it'd be with mesa drivers if, instead of iris and crocus, there were like 5 or 6 intel video drivers. I'm sure it'd get just as bug77 described, a fix or speedup would come in for gen6 gpus that would have worked on gen2-5 and 8 to current but was not put in their respective drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

How they got there is quite easy, common closed source proprietary way of working where you see each and every driver as a completely new project starting from scratch with a separate team. That is why we have so many products that is abandonware before they are even sold since they are developed in the fire and forget mode.

Comment

No love for igb?

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

How they got there is quite easy, common closed source proprietary way of working where you see each and every driver as a completely new project starting from scratch with a separate team. That is why we have so many products that is abandonware before they are even sold since they are developed in the fire and forget mode.
              I don't think closed source has anything to do with it. Almost all the software I write is closed source, but I've never seen anyone duplicating things just for kicks. Haven't written device drivers though, maybe that's a different world. Though it still seems unlikely, there would roughly the same engineers working on them, because device drivers require more domain knowledge than most other pieces of software.

Comment

highlander-swords.png

There can be only one.

But will the remaining drivers become progressively more powerful as they absorb the spirits of those they slay?

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

Exactly

1. Make it work
                  2. Make it right
                  3. Make it fast
                  pick one item ?

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

pick one item ?
                    The common joke is pick two

Comment