Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Iris Gallium3D Driver Overhauls Its Buffer Allocation Code

Phoronix: Intel Iris Gallium3D Driver Overhauls Its Buffer Allocation Code

While much of the modern graphics world these days is focused on the Vulkan API, there's no signs of Intel's open-source graphics driver engineers losing optimization focus with their OpenGL Linux driver by way of the Iris Gallium3D code. Merged this holiday week was a rather significant rework to its buffer object allocation system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wondering if these memory/buffer allocation changes will also positively impact Gen8/Haswell and Gen9/9.5 platforms.
    ​​

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post
      Wondering if these memory/buffer allocation changes will also positively impact Gen8/Haswell and Gen9/9.5 platforms.
      ​​
      I think Haswell and Broadwell are now on Crocus and not on Iris.

Comment

Broadwell's currently on iris, and i915 has support for using 64K pages there, so I think it should help there somewhat. Meteorlake and the newest hardware should see the most benefit, though.

Haswell's on crocus, so this won't have any impact there. I don't think i915 has 64K page support on Haswell and earlier either; those are 32-bit PPGTT instead of a 48-bit address space. So, I'm not sure this would have much benefit even if backported to crocus. Some pieces, maybe.
        Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
        Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
          Broadwell's currently on iris, and i915 has support for using 64K pages there, so I think it should help there somewhat. Meteorlake and the newest hardware should see the most benefit, though.

Haswell's on crocus, so this won't have any impact there. I don't think i915 has 64K page support on Haswell and earlier either; those are 32-bit PPGTT instead of a 48-bit address space. So, I'm not sure this would have much benefit even if backported to crocus. Some pieces, maybe.
          Got it, thanks! For some reason in my “headcanon” IVB and HAS were on Iris… if for no reason other than to work with RUSTICL as a modern post-beignet OpenCL solution.

Comment

Working...
          X