Intel Begins Sorting Out SR-IOV Support For The Xe Kernel Graphics Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Begins Sorting Out SR-IOV Support For The Xe Kernel Graphics Driver

Phoronix: Intel Begins Sorting Out SR-IOV Support For The Xe Kernel Graphics Driver

One of the great aspects of Intel integrated and discrete graphics is the broad support for Single Root I/O Virtualization (SR-IOV). Intel "Gen12" graphics back to Tigerlake can handle SR-IOV when there aren't any firmware woes or other issues at play. There is SR-IOV support currently with the i915 kernel driver but Intel engineers are working to architect optimal SR-IOV integration into their forthcoming Xe DRM kernel driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If only AMD added SR-IOV for Radeon cards.. Imagine the possibilities for homelab users

Comment

it's a shame this doesnt seem to be comming for the DG2 gaming cards. Intel had a large chance to really stand out here. This is a really big shame they didn't enable it there (maybe they will in the future?) I guess ill wait for workarounds to come out like nvidia then.

+SR-IOV Capability
      +=================
      +
      +Due to SR-IOV complexity and required co-operation between hardware, firmware
      +and kernel drivers, not all Xe architecture platforms might have SR-IOV enabled
      +or fully functional.
      +
      +To control at the driver level which platform will provide support for SR-IOV,
      +as we can't just rely on the PCI configuration data exposed by the hardware,
      +we will introduce "has_sriov" flag to the struct xe_device_desc that describes
      +a device capabilities that driver checks during the probe.
      +
      +Initially this flag will be set to disabled even on platforms that we plan to
      +support. We will enable this flag only once we finish merging all required
      +changes to the driver and related validated firmwares are also made available.
      +
      +
      +SR-IOV Platforms
      +================
      +
      +Initially we plan to add SR-IOV functionality to the following SDV platforms
      +already supported by the Xe driver:
      +
      + - TGL (up to 7 VFs)
      + - ADL (up to 7 VFs)
      + - MTL (up to 7 VFs)
      + - ATSM (up to 31 VFs)
      + - PVC (up to 63 VFs)
      +
      +Newer platforms will be supported later, but we hope that enabling will be
      +much faster, as majority of the driver changes are either platform agnostic
      +or are similar between earlier platforms (hence we start with SDVs).
      +​

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
        If only AMD added SR-IOV for Radeon cards.. Imagine the possibilities for homelab users
        I agree!

If Intel someday supports SR-IOV on consumer hardware and especially GPUs, I'll say goodbye to AMD.

If AMD does add SR-IOV dor consumer hardware, everything will be AMD at home and work.​

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

I agree!

If Intel someday supports SR-IOV on consumer hardware and especially GPUs, I'll say goodbye to AMD.

If AMD does add SR-IOV dor consumer hardware, everything will be AMD at home and work.​
          Yepp

I switched from Intel to AMD at work and home and I'm happy to return to Intel if they can match the performance of AMD AND offer SR-IOV. I've got no reason to leave AMD if they implement it too.

NVIDIA is clearly out of the picture with their anti-consumer/anti-Linux approach.
          Last edited by Kjell; 11 November 2023, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            it's a shame this doesnt seem to be comming for the DG2 gaming cards. Intel had a large chance to really stand out here. This is a really big shame they didn't enable it there (maybe they will in the future?) I guess ill wait for workarounds to come out like nvidia then.

Indeed. The 16GB A770 could have been really interesting with SR-IOV.

Comment

Can someone who follows this more closely share the current state and any definitive plan for getting to a single driver that supports all the important features for DG2 discreet cards? I.e. is Xe getting HuC support for the media block or is i915 getting sparse support in a way that's going to work and be performant?

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
                Can someone who follows this more closely share the current state and any definitive plan for getting to a single driver that supports all the important features for DG2 discreet cards? I.e. is Xe getting HuC support for the media block or is i915 getting sparse support in a way that's going to work and be performant?
                i915 is getting sparse support. https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...requests/25512

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
                  Indeed. The 16GB A770 could have been really interesting with SR-IOV.
                  I expect that market segmentation will continue to be a thing for all discrete GPU manufacturers, with consumer priced products not offering the same capabilities as data center priced products.

I seem to recall a rumor that the A770 might be able to be flashed to support at least some of the capabilities of a Flex 170 (which supports SR-IOV), but no details (capabilities, limitations, how-to, etc.) were ever publicly shared that I am aware of. For all I know the rumor was planted simply to increase page views.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

I expect that market segmentation will continue to be a thing for all discrete GPU manufacturers, with consumer priced products not offering the same capabilities as data center priced products.

I seem to recall a rumor that the A770 might be able to be flashed to support at least some of the capabilities of a Flex 170 (which supports SR-IOV), but no details (capabilities, limitations, how-to, etc.) were ever publicly shared that I am aware of. For all I know the rumor was planted simply to increase page views.
                    it was confirmed by wendel from level1techs, so IMO the rumor is as good as legit as they have a very good history https://forum.level1techs.com/t/inte...ov-hack/200804

Comment

Working...
                    X