Intel Arc Graphics Driver Change Leads To A Big Speed-Up Under Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    I wish they would care about HDR that much too!
    KDE developers trying to implement HDR in Plasma have problems with both AMD and Intel drivers not implementing HDR requirements fully / correctly.
    Its the typical KDE issue of building a house without first waiting for the foundation to be done. Everyone else focuses on first getting a good foundation and the userland bits come at last.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

It's both an Intel and AMD thing.
      I'm not sure if it's a Mesa thing also.
      It's about KDE developers trying to implement HDR on Linux by adding support to Plasma.
      They have discovered that AMD doesn't support the "Colorspace" property:
      This MR implements the ability to change the color space a display expects to BT.2020, to send the HDR metadata required to allow the use of the PQ...

And a developer replied somewhere that while Intel supports it, YCbCr is broken, so no vendor has a correct / full implementation of HDR support in their driver.
      So I'm not sure why KDE needs this colorspace supported and in whay way is broken, but Intel should fix it.
      Nobody can go forward with full / correct HDR implementation if that' not the same in the drivers.
      ahh I see, yeah I can see these posing an issue for some usecases, tahnks for the follow up

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Its the typical KDE issue of building a house without first waiting for the foundation to be done. Everyone else focuses on first getting a good foundation and the userland bits come at last.
      whats the other option, "Hey, I wanna build a house so can you make a foundation?" "Hey..." "Hey..." "Hey..." "Hey..."... yeah waiting has proved to be so successful,​ I think forcing their hands is the best route forwards at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

How much time do you think KDE developers should wait for the foundation, 10-20 years?
        Have you seen how much we have waited for Wayland support, especially with asshole companies like Nvidia, who refused to implement what was needed?

ow much time do you think Mozilla developers should wait for the foundation, before they can implement HDR support in Firefox and other Mozilla projects?

And how about me, the users who buys AMD and Intel GPUs, how much should I wait for them to build the proper foundation, so that then my DE of choice or any DE can build their stuff and I can finally play my personal HDR photos and videos, besides the thousands of videos and movies available that have HDR metadata in them?

BTW, both AMD and Intel don't have a control panel for Linux and their grand excuse is that they don't want to waste resources / time on this and prefer to work in the other areas of their drivers to make them better.

How about working in other areas of their drivers include proper HDR support too?
        Why are you so happy being treated as a second or third class citizen with no control panel and no proper HDR support on Linux?

Comment

We never get a traditional graphics control panel because we are always told the DE is the most adequate way to handle those things. It has been the main excuse since I can bother to remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            DG2 needs VM Bind on i915 or Huc on XE, I get that both are a big commitment, don't buy a DG2 until one or the other gets done
            Honestly 6-12 month ago you did explain to me everyone should buy intel arc ...

now look at yourself... now you say don't buy a DG2 intel arc gpu...
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

Honestly 6-12 month ago you did explain to me everyone should buy intel arc ...

now look at yourself... now you say don't buy a DG2 intel arc gpu...
              no, i said that it's a very promising card, that I would buy it, and that I doubted I would be disappointing, so far all has held true. the DG2 cards are still very promising, have great perf and are being supported very well by both the mesa and kernel teams. I like how you clipped the rest of the post where I explicitly mentioned "these are both major features and without one driver having both leads to an incomplete package. that being said if you only need one or the other, things are pretty good." no, I don't reccomend that everyone goes and buy one however if you have a task where you need one or the other (IE. a dedicated encode accelerator) DG2 is great and well worth the money.

Comment

no, i said that it's a very promising card, that I would buy it, and that I doubted I would be disappointing, so far all has held true. the DG2 cards are still very promising, have great perf and are being supported very well by both the mesa and kernel teams. I like how you clipped the rest of the post where I explicitly mentioned "these are both major features and without one driver having both leads to an incomplete package. that being said if you only need one or the other, things are pretty good." no, I don't reccomend that everyone goes and buy one however if you have a task where you need one or the other (IE. a dedicated encode accelerator) DG2 is great and well worth the money.
                I tell you something. i start to buy intel gpus for any serious task if people like you stop
                complaining in the forum and begging for driver features from intel.

until then, intel is too slow to be an option anyway.​

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
                  until then, intel is too slow to be an option anyway.​
                  for their pricepoints the preformance is solid, so I would assume you mean that anything at these price points aren't an option, in which case why even both saying anything. if it isn't what you are saying, you are just blatantly wrong as intel is showing to be competitive with both AMD and Intel at their respected MSRPs (which you can still somewhat occasionally get the intel cards at)

Comment

for their pricepoints the preformance is solid, so I would assume you mean that anything at these price points aren't an option, in which case why even both saying anything. if it isn't what you are saying, you are just blatantly wrong as intel is showing to be competitive with both AMD and Intel at their respected MSRPs (which you can still somewhat occasionally get the intel cards at)
                    of course they have good price performance ratio but this does not matter if it is not faster than what it should replace like my 6 year old vega64... most arc cards are slower. and the fastes card is something like 20% faster... and this is not a relevant speed up to upgrade.

in germany you can get a vega64 for something like 125€ ...

this means if someone really search for a good price performance ration then get an old vega64 looks like a good option.

thats a plausible way because many new features of intel arc can not be used in my point of view for example raytracing i do not know usefull usercases for raytracing on intel hardware.

and this problem is not isolated to intel also even a AMD 7900XTX is to slow for raytracing...

if raytracing is of the table then only AV1 decode and endcode is in favor of intel arc. of course if you do not buy a 8gb version instead you buy the 16gb version the memory wall will hit you less for compute...

Comment

Working...
                    X