Intel's Vulkan Linux Driver Adds H.265 Video Decoding Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

Except Netflix does. And Facebook/Instagram/Meta. And a couple of other platforms.
    Facebook: a post from the 21st of February, 2023, i.e. quite fresh, I did not know about that, thanks. Sadly they are pushing AV1 to devices which do not support HW AV1 decoding which means poor iPhone users have their battery life decimated by bitrate savings. I guess that's all good and fine.

As for Netflix - you gave the exact same URL as for Facebook/Instagram. Here's probably the correct one. According to Reddit their AV1 encodes are just bad. And here's what people say:

Nobody "switches" to AV1. They have a large device footprint lacking AV1 support so they have to continue making AVC, HEVC, and VP9 for those devices. They have added AV1 and are sending it to multiple endpoints including SD downloads on Android as you pointed out, and also the full SDR ladder up to 4k for devices with native AV1 hardware decode.
    So, AV1 is there and only served to devices which support HW decoding unlike Facebook/Instagram which serves AV1 to everyone regardless. Anyways, we now have three major companies serving content in AV1 which is much better than just Google a year ago. Users continue not to use AV1 - and to me "using" means not just encoding but storing and sharing videos. People use H.264 and H.265 for that, both patent encumbered codecs. There have been no news about smartphone companies attempting to implement a HW AV1 encoder.

Thanks for keeping me up to date with AV1 content delivery. I've not used Facebook for many years and I'm not on Instagram at all. As for Netflix I don't have a TV set, so I've never bothered to subscribe. For me it's been 99% youtube (VP9/H.264, my smartphone doesn't support HW AV1) and 1% Twitter (H.264) videos.

I love getting new information and facts and changing my opinion in the process. I've edited my earlier post about AV1 and included Facebook/Netflix.

Have a nice day!
    Last edited by avis; 19 May 2023, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by avis
      I dare you provide a single company except Googe/YouTube which distributes content in AV1. As of today May, 2023.
      According to Wikipedia:
      • Facebook
      • Netflix
      • Vimeo
      • iQIYI
      https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AV1
      Last edited by oleid; 21 May 2023, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

According to Wikipedia:
        • Facebook
        • Netflix
        • Vimeo
        • iQIUI
        https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AV1
        Yeah, I spent quite a lot of time yesterday investigating these websites.

I didn't find a single AV1 video on Facebook or on Vimeo either. No idea what iQIUI is, and I doubt anyone cares. Netflix, yeah, maybe, read my previous message.

Lots of times companies on the Internet publish press releases and never follow on them. Isn't it cool to announce to your clients that you're in a business of saving bandwidth and then discover than encoding into AV1 requires an insane amount of processing power and then if you don't have the source, but only e.g. badly compressed H.264 sources, re-encoding into AV1 will only make them softer/blurrier. Anyways, read my previous message, I don't want to repeat myself.

Again, let me remind you, this topic is called, "Intel's Vulkan Linux Driver Adds H.265 Video Decoding Support". I've no idea why people brought AV1 into it. That's completely offtopic.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

No idea what iQIYI is, and I doubt anyone cares.
          Quite egocentric, aren't we?

iQIYI is the Chinese Netflix, launched in 2010.

iQIYI is currently one of the largest online video sites in the world, with nearly 6 billion hours spent on its service each month and over 500 million monthly active users.

Comment

Originally posted by edxposed View Post
            Intel/AMD/NVIDIA/Qualcomm/MediaTek/Samsung/Rockchip's latest products all support AV1 hardware decoding, and Apple will also support AV1 hardware decoding in A17/M3.
            Windows/Android/iOS/macOS all support AV1.
            Chromium/Firefox/Safari all support AV1.
            All players fully support AV1 (HW/SW).
            It can be said that all hardware and software infrastructure already includes full AV1 support, but only Youtube uses it.​
            man this point "Apple will also support AV1 hardware decoding in A17/M3." made me think negative of apple in the past.

i always thought they put so much energy in this apple m1/m2 products and even more or less directly support linux with their bootloader but in the end even a cheap rockchip rk3588s has full AV1 decode and encode..

all the people always point out that apple m1/m2 is so much faster than rockchip rk3588s but on AV1 apple is a dog...

for me this M3 becomes really interesting if they support AV1 in hardware.
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

An amazing blanket statement. My 7 year old laptop can play AV1 1080p 60fps with frame drops, massive power consumption, frame drops and killing the battery fast in the process.
              a 7 year old laptop is EOL and has zero relevance in the market.. what next do you come up with the comodore 64 and want to play AV1 videos ?

at some point you need to say we support everthing what is not "EOL" everything else need to be replaced.

EOL in modern times is like 4-5 years. this means ma vega64 you can expect AMD will drop support next year.

You seem to believe that if a device is able to decode something than this codec is "supported". This cannot be further from the truth.
              Do you really think that Google (the only company in the world which has sort of employed AV1) streaming selected offline videos for selected devices in AV1 equals "strong" support?
              Sorry, I'm not a fan of wishful thinking. Anyways, we've had this conversation before. I'm not going to go through all the arguments again. It's too long in the tooth.
              AV1 is indeed widely adopted and supported. The codec for the future. This is a topic about fucking H.265. Let's stick to it. You may express your admiration for AV1 somewhere else, thank you.
              any patented closed source codex has no future believe me.

Comment

That's pure ad hominem and not a fucking argument.
                I dare you provide a single company except Googe/YouTube which distributes content in AV1. As of today May, 2023.
                3 people in this topic (lots more in the previous one about VVC) are blatantly making stuff up. I knew Open Source is a sort of religion but I didn't know it makes people lose their rational mind and the ability to use Google search and Wikipedia. It takes a few minutes to research AV1, oh, wait I'm the only Wikipedia editor here who oversees the AV1 article. LMAO. That's fucking amazing, people with zero knowledge of codecs and encoding industry are arguing with me.
                i am a wikipedia editor to and because of this i know wikipedia does not support patented closed source codex

wikipedia only supports non-patented opensource codex.

you claim the truth on wikipedia proof your point but wikipedia itself proof the point that a patented closed codex will not be the future.

Comment

Neither Netflix, nor Facebook, nor a couple of other platforms use or distribute videos encoded in AV1. This is a topic about "Intel's Vulkan Linux Driver Adds H.265 Video Decoding Support". You could stop circumventing it with your AV1 devotion and lies. No one cares.
                  I think you are a little outdated on that subject. Netflix announced in 2018 and 2019 the use of AV1 codec for Android phones.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonjulius1122 View Post

I think you are a little outdated on that subject. Netflix announced in 2018 and 2019 the use of AV1 codec for Android phones.
                    I think you're necroposting. This topic is almost three months old.

Also, if you read all the messages in the discussion, you'd know that I admitted that Netflix supports AV1 with clauses.

Comment

Working...
                    X