Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Current Intel Arc Graphics Linux Gaming Performance On Linux 6.2 + Mesa 23.1-dev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    But still has severe issues in important titles. E.g. Unreal Engine TSR in Fortnite ruins performance on Arc, but is fine on AMD & Nvidia. As a result, 6700 XT is 50-60% faster than the A770 when both tested with TSR high 66% (1440p Nanite & Lumen off).
    It also drew 40W in idle, despite configuring ASPM as Intel recommends. Maybe next gen of their GPUs might be ok, but this one is a lost cause in the end. Real-life experience is just completely unacceptable, especially given the still relatively high prices. And 8GB of VRAM just suck anyway.
    Why have you switched away from your nVidia RTX 3060 in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
      But still has severe issues in important titles. E.g. Unreal Engine TSR in Fortnite ruins performance on Arc, but is fine on AMD & Nvidia. As a result, 6700 XT is 50-60% faster than the A770 when both tested with TSR high 66% (1440p Nanite & Lumen off).
      It also drew 40W in idle, despite configuring ASPM as Intel recommends. Maybe next gen of their GPUs might be ok, but this one is a lost cause in the end. Real-life experience is just completely unacceptable, especially given the still relatively high prices. And 8GB of VRAM just suck anyway.
      I fully agree with your assessment, that's why I've used a relative and broad term with "more competetive these days" which was meant as a comparison with the situation on Windows at launch. It is nowhere near perfect nor acceptable for a gaming product on Windows either that is meant to compete with AMD and Nvidia. The state on Linux is by far worse though and not even better off half a year past launch.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
        Why have you switched away from your nVidia RTX 3060 in the first place?
        Got curious about Arc and saw it have far less streaming slow-downs/stutter issues in Fortnite than Nvidia, which is why I then got curious about AMD. Kinda shocking how bad Nvidia D3D12 driver still is in some titles.
        I wouldn't have thought it to be very likely, but the most severe and annoying bugs I had back in the days with the RX 6800 on Windows actually have been fixed in the meantime. It's still hard for me to accept.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

If you had actually bothered to read Micheal's article, then you would have noticed that not only was this already mentioned, but also pointed out towards the necessary pre-requisite to getting it solved in the first place:
          Sure, I just think there's no point in pointing on CP77. All DX12 games are FUBAR.

Comment

For some reason I picture Intel engineers scurrying around dousing fires at some engineering floor.... once one is out, another begins. Not saying they haven't always been busy, or even scurrying, but maybe less fire. Time will tell.

Comment

How’s stable diffusion rendering on Arc on Windows vs Linux?

Comment

I'm more interested with usability rather than playing games. However, "wow" with the game frame rates improvement!

Knowing debugging, guessing developers are primarily focused upon increasing performance/frame-rates, rather than power/energy savings ... for the time being. Energy saving might improve during the middle to last stages of optimizing the code.

Glad I had the opportunity and invested with Intel, versus buying another closed-source/proprietary nVidia GPU!

Now I can focus on other more important tasks, rather than struggling with nVidia anomalies! Albeit, nouveau, when working, provides a stable working environment.
                Last edited by rogerx; 21 March 2023, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Most their driver improvements have been happening under Windows lately. Who knows when they'll be brought over to Linux....

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                    Most their driver improvements have been happening under Windows lately. Who knows when they'll be brought over to Linux....
                    If a large player made a mobile console similar to Steam Deck but with Intel silicon, I'm sure intel would suddenly expedite their Linux investment.

As a gamer who uses Linux for most games but simply has to keep Windows around for Rust and Fortnite: it drives me bonkers that I'm really still stuck with AMD as the only viable option for performant open gaming on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post
                      it drives me bonkers that I'm really still stuck with AMD as the only viable option for performant open gaming on Linux.
                      Well there is NVIDIA also. But it seems most readers on Phoronix love to HATE NVIDIA.
                      Meanwhile they have over %80 market share (dGPU at least) and most gamers trust and enjoy using their cards more, even gamers under Linux.
                      I guess there are just way more open-source devs here on Phoronix then other sites.
                      I do hope NV open-source drivers make some strides one day so they can support 30/40 series more.

Comment

Working...
                      X