Intel Highlights Their Progress On Arc Graphics Drivers Since Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yump View Post

I didn't say you said that. I said you said you didn't even try the card with virtualization disabled.

The only reason you suspect that the box not posting with the card in might have anything to do with virtualization is that support suggested that you try turning it off, but since you bailed out of the troubleshooting process you don't know if it's even relevant.

It's like... Imagine you had a Ryzen box that wouldn't post, and support told you to try booting with only one stick of RAM installed. Imagine you got mad and refused to try it, assumed that meant Ryzen CPUs in general are incompatible with dual-channel memory, and then went on the internet and told people Ryzen sucks because it only has a 64-bit memory interface.
    You most certainly say that.. you fake “quoted” something I did not say.:
    When you say "you can't get a box to post if any virtualization is enabled in the BIOS,"
    Your exact words.

I said, I am not testing it because it is a waste of my time.
    If it works without virtualization… so what? I still cannot use it.
    if it doesn’t, I still cannot use it.

so why waste my time when I can use it elsewhere and just get an inexpensive card that does work in the machine, configured specifically how I need it?

sheesh.

This 7920 has, and I am using, efi bios settings though it does support legacy bios.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
      on linux its no fun yet i bought a intel arc a380 for my mothers computer and on fedora 37 nothing works but software rendering at 1024x800 pixel.

people have to wait until fedora 38 is released to get intel arc driver support.
      Gotta install Arch or Gentoo for your mom :P

Barley9432

Intel used Microsoft's D3D9on12 before. There never was a native DX9 implementation for Arc.
      Last edited by kiffmet; 02 February 2023, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Radtraveller View Post

You most certainly say that.. you fake “quoted” something I did not say.:
        When you say "you can't get a box to post if any virtualization is enabled in the BIOS,"
        Your exact words.
        Your exact words were

The deal breaker is that you cannot even get a box (pc, server, workstation) to even post with an ARC if any virtualization is enabled in the bios
        At no point did I believe, or intend to communicate, that you were saying your box wouldn't POST with virtualization but without an ARC GPU. My quote differs either because I typed from memory, or because shortening it made the sentence flow better (don't remember which). I denied misquoting you because I believe it was an immaterial omission -- the "with an ARC" part is obvious, because there would be no point bringing it up in this context otherwise.

If you interpreted that as a claim that you had said your box wouldn't post with virtualization at all, ARC GPU or no, then there was a miscommunication. It's possible a similar miscommunication occurred with the Intel support person. The article they linked is about SR-IOV and GVT-g, used for sharing part of a GPU with a guest. If regular VT-x and VT-d were unsupported, ARC would be incompatible with many OEM Windows boxes.

so why waste my time when I can use it elsewhere and just get an inexpensive card that does work in the machine, configured specifically how I need it?
        I agree that Arc and that particular workstation are simply not meant to be. IMO, ideally you could just send it back, but I hear Newegg is pretty awful with restocking fees. If you can find a better home for it, great, but Intel doesn't need charity.

P.S. I just looked up the interaction and it seems to be exactly as I suspected?

1.-Could you please confirm if you were able to test disabling virtualization in Bios? I understand you are not planning to use video virtualization, however, this is important to discard possible causes of the issue.

2.-Try using basic PC hardware components such as 1 stick of RAM and storage. Clear the CMOS battery.

Comment

And exactly as I described.
          no point in “testing” in a way that would “break” my current use on this machine, so what would be the point?
          As I said before, the ARC does not work in this specific use case.
          And I said I would simply use it in another machine at a later date.
          Not sure why anyone would want to argue over me reporting an issue with a specific configuration and what intel had to say about it.
          At least intel responded even if the response was not helpful to my issue.
          Dell, on the other hand, has remained completely silent.

Comment

Originally posted by thebear View Post
            fedora 37 uses 6.0 kernel? In that case you need to forceprobe the i915 driver. see e.g. https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/intel_graphics

(I run 4K 60Hz on debian bookworm using A380, though I have trouble getting HuC to load according to dmesg)
            Fedora is at Linux kernel 6.1.8-200

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

6.1 also needs the force probe kernel parameter. 6.2rc's don't though...

Comment

[deleted]

Comment

Originally posted by thebear View Post
                  6.1 also needs the force probe kernel parameter. 6.2rc's don't though...
                  thank you for the info... i think fedora will soon be on kernel 6.2 i just wait and update.

but really thank you for the info.
                  Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
                  X