Intel Discontinues Development Of Open-Source HAXM Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
    Hmm, when I developed for Android on Windows I needed HAXM to have a fast x86 Android emulator. Wondering what Google will do.
    These days I am on Ubuntu and it uses KVM I think.
    I'm on Ubuntu as well. So, are you saying if you are on Ubuntu then you are not affected?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      So what now on Windows for virtualization? (besides VirtualBox and Hyper-V.......)
      qemu works well on Windows and it can use the Hyper-V backend.

Comment

I've not pored through extensively, but I can't find any details regarding the "known security escapes".

Since that is just words added at the same time as "we're abandoning this", it does make me wonder whether or not the vulnerabilities are a) true, b) serious or c) just fearmongering to scare people into stopping using it.

Because it's not like others haven't used the same method in the past.

And of course, no extant, supported project has any vulnerabilities...

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

I'm on Ubuntu as well. So, are you saying if you are on Ubuntu then you are not affected?
          No. most people on linux are using KVM, not HAXM. HAXM is more or less a work around from when WHPX was non existant and still terrible, but its more then acceptable now.

Originally posted by Radtraveller View Post
          A little off topic, but hoping I can get some advice.
          For testing k8s cluster stuff using virtual machines for nodes:
          Does anyone have any advice for :
          xen vs kvm/qemu
          thanks in advance for any constructive advice.
          Either will work fine but I vastly prefer qemu myself, libvirt is pretty easy to use. there are a few open source gui softwares for controlling libvirt, but some of the more common ones are Cockpit for basic controls, Virt-manager has a good amount of settings to tweak, and ovirt, more designed for large scale. virt-manager is probably fine, but I have a bone to pick with the maintainer of it due to the clipboard shenanigans. but for testing it's fine to use.

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
          I used to do Linux development work under QEMU on Windows with HAXM. It worked pretty well, much more reliably than VirtualBox, but then WSL2 came along, and that was a game changer. I would prefer bare metal Linux, but unfortunately, one or two non-Microsoft things keep me tied to Windows in my role.
          whpx is more preformant then HAXM and is recommended to use that

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          So what now on Windows for virtualization? (besides VirtualBox and Hyper-V.......)
          use whpx, which is hyper-v but for general usage, IE.​ qemu and vmware etc.​​​ currently whpx + qemu is the only recommended way to runn Bliss OS (AX86) on windows.

Comment

I find Android barely usable. Too many problems.

Would rather use regular PC hardware, so that I can use the full power of Linux, rather than being choked-to-death by Android's choker chain.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
              I've not pored through extensively, but I can't find any details regarding the "known security escapes".

Since that is just words added at the same time as "we're abandoning this", it does make me wonder whether or not the vulnerabilities are a) true, b) serious or c) just fearmongering to scare people into stopping using it.

Because it's not like others haven't used the same method in the past.

And of course, no extant, supported project has any vulnerabilities...
              My guess would be it's like "oh we found some serious vulnerabilities that require extensive refactorings to fix, let's just kill it instead".

Comment

Originally posted by rogerx View Post
                I find Android barely usable. Too many problems.

Would rather use regular PC hardware, so that I can use the full power of Linux, rather than being choked-to-death by Android's choker chain.
                it goes both ways, trying to use linux on a primairly touch device is just outright painful, currently I try to use a rooted android device with arch chroot since you can run X, but lately im really close to being able to use arch + waydroid. either way, both are lacking but compliment each other really when when you can use both simultaneously.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

it goes both ways, trying to use linux on a primairly touch device is just outright painful, currently I try to use a rooted android device with arch chroot since you can run X, but lately im really close to being able to use arch + waydroid. either way, both are lacking but compliment each other really when when you can use both simultaneously.
                  With all the development for the past many years, making a mess out of good user interfaces and converting user interfaces for being usable by both keyboard and touch screen devices, yea, things are still a complete mess and getting more horrid as time goes on.

For my Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, I find the device not usable unless I use the device with a keyboard. Very few times do I use the device without a keyboard.

Comment

Well - is it to be understood as
                    Intel Virtualization Technology is so fu*ed up that even Intel itself can't create a secure software using it
                    ?

Comment

Originally posted by rogerx View Post

With all the development for the past many years, making a mess out of good user interfaces and converting user interfaces for being usable by both keyboard and touch screen devices, yea, things are still a complete mess and getting more horrid as time goes on.

For my Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, I find the device not usable unless I use the device with a keyboard. Very few times do I use the device without a keyboard.
                      it does seem to be slowly changing but well, its slow

Comment

Working...
                      X