Intel UHD 630 gfx freeze/corruption issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel UHD 630 gfx freeze/corruption issue

Hi there, I wonder if I can get a solution from my problem.

I do have thin computer (Lenovo M70q) with an Intel 10500T and a iGPU (Intel UHD 630).

The main issue [With Xorg], I would say, is that very regularly, the graphics in a specific window kinda stop updating and get stuck like a broken CED(Think video vinyl disk getting stuck on a track), can be any program including konsole but it usually append the most with my youtube browser. I usually have to close the affected program and re-launch it to get rid of the issue, with is quite annoying. Games and video playback with mpv, using vaapi, for some reason, don't seam to be affected and run fine. Moving the affected window kind of "unstuck it" while the window is moving but get right back into "broken CED state" after I stop moving the window. I did not see anything in X log.

I did try to find solution and found some partial thing, like use hardware video decode for youtube.. but it's does not fix the issue, it make it just append less often .
    Oh, I'm using the Modesetting driver. I did try the Intel DDX drivers but got some other different issues.

Ugly workaround I got so far :
    • Using Wayland, what I do now (get rid of the broken CED issue but bring a ton of other very annoying issues that I get to consider switching back to xorg even if I have to relaunch my browser a few time a day).
    • Using Windows 10 (Fix everything BUT games have a very tendency to crash the system, I would rather not use Windows but so far is seam to be the only stable fix as I can just game on my real desktop computer instead)
    Fixing the issues I get on wayland could be a solution, if it's even possible. Here are the issue I get on Wayland (right now):
    • When the system put display in sleep, it forget where the windows where, so when I wake them up, I then have to reposition all the windows (most annoying issue). Got to increase the sleep time to 2HR instead of 15min so I don't have to do that more than two time a day
    • If the computer put the displays to sleep **after** I did unplug and replug the displays/usb device (like when I unplug all so I can plug them on my gaming PC), like a few hours after, the displays sometime, will not wake up from sleep and when that append, the keyboard numlock led is stuck on. The system look like it's crashed but the kernel is still alive (can ssh to it, and it clearly see detected USB devices in log if I try to replug the keyboard).
    • There is no proper hardware video acceleration support for vaapi (probably lacking proper app support). I mean, Firefox can play 4K videos using vaapi, no problem, but mpv and vlc not only use vaapi but there is some kind of loop that get GPU utilization to 100% and drop fps to 5
    • Games can't change screen resolution. My main screen is 4K, the GPU is Intel UHD 630 as mentioned, I can't really game over 1080p resolution on that thing.
    Best solution could be to find an AMD version of that system but for now I have that Intel one.

EDIT : The problem still occur with wayland, but only clicking on the bugged window fix it without needing to relaunch it.
    Last edited by RavFX; 08 November 2022, 03:10 PM.
Working...
X