No announcement yet.

Mesa 22.3 Merges The Big Draw Throughput Improvement For Intel's Vulkan Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't touched C in a while so can someone kindly explain why there is an inline and an ALWAYS INLINE call?

Is this some internal Vulkan design? Why does inline not suffice?

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
      No week on phoronix without some nice improvment news, feels like we should already be at 300 % performance.
      This was just merged: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...requests/17285
      It causes almost 500% perf increase (7fps -> 41fps) in one game.

Comment

Originally posted by zboszor View Post
        This was just merged: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...requests/17285
        It causes almost 500% perf increase (7fps -> 41fps) in one game.
        So it's 800% improvement. 🤣

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3
          Is there any way to upgrade to Mesa 22.3 Git on Debian like you can do on a Ubuntu based distro with the Oibaf PPA?
          Not really. You might pull in packages from debian experimental, but thats not convenient or totally current at all. Its part of the reasons why I go on to use Ubuntu: seen from a desktop users perspective wanting current packages i think it's much easier to adress ubuntus shortcomings than those present in debian.

Comment

Is there any way to upgrade to Mesa 22.3 Git on Debian like you can do on a Ubuntu based distro with the Oibaf PPA?
            Please inform us all once you come crawling back to Kubuntu!

Comment

maybe, sorta, I am not responsible if it does not work... Ubuntu is based on debian (duh) so all you have to do is figure out what Ubuntu version is the current debian stable (I think is 20.04, could be 20.10 too) install the repos for focal (20.04) and pray for it to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahboi View Post
                I haven't touched C in a while so can someone kindly explain why there is an inline and an ALWAYS INLINE call?

Its not unique to vulkan. Inline has meant different things throughout history due to compile behaviour. The main reason being in 99% of the cases the compiler knows best whether to inline yes or no. In this case for vulkan they know the function is used only once or twice in places where its best inlined and not called for performance so they use the always-inline hint to tell the compiler to always inline. I believe compilers ignore the old inline keyword all together.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahboi View Post

See https://www.kernel.org/doc/local/inline.html

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    Ah, C/C++.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X