Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mangix View Post

isn't that just on windows?
    I noticed smitty3268 pretty much mentioned as well as others made mention of what I am trying to express to you in my reply after already writing it. For sake of not wasting my word smithing and I do hope you still read this.

Doesn't matter, even if it proves a good Linux experience. If market share for Arc is poorly accrued for Windows, ARC GPU technologies will be dead in the the water for everybody. Windows performance and support is what will determine the success of ARC and so far its looking pretty bad.

ARC is having performance issues with different Directx API versions. That's a very bad sign unless intel can get their drivers together having good support across all API's, no person in their right mind would purchase it, most especially a windows user.

Intel has had a good track record of getting their software right and performing well for their CPU's despite the whole meltdown/spectre stuff.

However, GPU drivers and software are totally different animals 'extremely exotic ones'. AMD is still busting their ass trying to have as good as support as NVIDIA, and they still have a long row to hoe in my opinion, and that's coming from an AMD fan.

If you want a mind blowing powerful GPU that absolutely wipes the floor with NVIDIA buy a high end AMD GPU.

If you wan't solid universal compatibility for every directx generation and other competing API's? You damn well better choose NVIDIA if you wan't no compromises, that is reality and just the way it is. AMD has come a long way, their best gpus are what I would consider legacy hardware, RX 580 and earlier. You go any newer? Be prepared to wait a very long time.

Unless intel is really wanting to play the long game, and that is exactly what they are dealing with, a very long daunting game. NVIDIA has the market cornered, everyone knows it, they also have the best support across the board. They are the green monster, I hate it myself but as a gamer, I wan't no compromises, NVIDIA provides that. I watched them historically wipe their asses with 3dfx. You think much is going to change and fast? I am very doubtful.

If you want a smooth as glass gaming experience on virtually every API you are going to have to suck it up and stay with NVIDIA, I have had to. I have been at this since my very first NVIDIA GPU, ELSA Gladiac Geforce 2 GTS, and have desired a different make and model of GPU for a very long time. 20 fucking years....

Please! Could any company out there wipe their asses with NVIDIA? Any at all? Crickets...............

Its not the hardware technology, its the global API support and drivers that keeps NVIDIA cataloged generations ahead, and that's before they even release their latest hardware or announce it. How do I know this? By watching each release, generation by generation they simply do not miss a beat, they plan ahead of them, they designed the rhythms, 'they' determine the market in my opinion. And no I am not trying to sully the name of NVIDIA, they simply know their craft and they do it very well.

If 'Proprietary Efforts' was an eternal ethos bound to a company at its very core and a model by which all others in order to gain expertise in their immediate field be measured against, its NVIDIA, which serves as the very pinnacle and apogee to its competitors and has every right to withhold intellectual property since they have proven themselves. I personally wish it more open honestly myself, but I respect their decisions and still buy their technology. Why? There aren't really any better alternatives so to speak, NVIDIA's immediate operational fluidity within a current contemporary context is hard to rival, their pockets unfathomably deep, and experience spanning almost three decades of extremely aggressive development.
    Last edited by creative; 07 August 2022, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangix View Post

main problems i've heard of ARC is bad D3D and OpenGL performance and buggy/broken features.
      DX12 performance is fine but not the older versions.

Comment

Pardon my lengthy long drawn out edit but I felt a need to expatiate about just what AMD and Intel are competing against.
        Last edited by creative; 07 August 2022, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Be nice to see some Mesa benchmarks of these intel GPU's 3D/Game performance someday for Linux... I've heard there is a major RAM bug atm however which cripples them.
          But once that's fixed it be nice to see how it compares to the terrible windows driver performance!

Comment

I really want ARC for my nas.. Good encode/decode support, not too much power draw, hopefully sr-iov support.

It would be perfect for my use case.
            Sadly it seems intel will stop it. It's a shame

Comment

Working...
            X