Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Alder Lake Users On Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Will Want To Switch To A Newer Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm opposed to calling everything "Linux", because I see it as confusion with no benefits, but as long as most people do that and Ubuntu is the foremost representative of The Linux, I find it puzzling that Linux LTS isn't coordinated with Ubuntu LTS releases. But I don't know what criteria he uses. He probably has his reasons. But I do think that it would be better to synchronize LTSes.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
      I'm opposed to calling everything "Linux", because I see it as confusion with no benefits, but as long as most people do that and Ubuntu is the foremost representative of The Linux, I find it puzzling that Linux LTS isn't coordinated with Ubuntu LTS releases. But I don't know what criteria he uses. He probably has his reasons. But I do think that it would be better to synchronize LTSes.
      I suppose with "he" you mean Greg-KH, right?

It was a really unfortunate choice of his to make, when Linux 5.16 literally missed the end-of-year deadline by just a few days!

Still, makes me wonder why you as a Canonical employee didn't make contact with him earlier about this incident; maybe he would have listened...

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
        Nothing new. Ubuntu server spin powdered to look like a desktop distribution. And it's not only about the Kernel, but its config as well.
        While I agree that the "generic" kernel flavor isn't a very good fit for typical desktop PC usage, Canonical does at least provide the "lowlatency" option.

But since they have stopped doing so for the mainline kernel PPA builds, alternatively setting the "preempt=full" kernel parameter will transform the "generic" one into a soft real-time Linux kernel, which is what every desktop distro should strive to provide out-of-the-box, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

You're the first one ever who complains about openSUSE Tumbleweed. No one has ever complained before about it breaking.
          Fine I'll be the 2nd and complain that on a fresh openSUSE-Tumbleweed-gnome install chromium fails with "no driver" or "GL is eGL".

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
            I suppose with "he" you mean Greg-KH, right?
            Yes.

Still, makes me wonder why you as a Canonical employee didn't make contact with him earlier about this incident; maybe he would have listened...
            I'm not a Canonical employee, even if people keep telling me I am.

Comment

Ubuntu maintains their kernel with backports and hardware enablement stack, so I believe this is non-news.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin2x View Post
                Ubuntu maintains their kernel with backports and hardware enablement stack, so I believe this is non-news.
                As shown in this article, for hardware that has been commonly out now for six months and for kernel patches in mainline since November, no they haven't backported important Alder Lake fixes.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

No, when talking about distro stability, we're referring to lack of major changes, meaning a stable relationship between packages. Rolling distros can be very high quality, but if you have a lot of dependencies, like a website might have, for instance, then you don't necessarily want improvements to break your system because the improvements cause incompatibility between packages.
                  So if that's what you want, you can't complain if you don't have the latest stable kernel on your Lts. From here the whole discussion started ...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

As shown in this article, for hardware that has been commonly out now for six months and for kernel patches in mainline since November, no they haven't backported important Alder Lake fixes.
                    You are correct, kernel was frozen on April 7, so Alder Lake owners will have to wait for the next HWE stack or install a mainline kernel, so I retract my comment about this being non-news. Just not sensational =)

Comment

apt install linux-oem-22.04

will give you a 5.17 based kernel

Comment

Working...
                      X