Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Alder Lake Users On Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Will Want To Switch To A Newer Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

they have point realeases and upgrade kernel and gpu stack, the non free is upgrading always since at least 4 years ago.

If people need the last kernel they have pre build ones, i dont see the problem here, the same happens with windows if we need the last drivers we need to upgrade or use tools for that, the ones in windoes upgrade are always out dated, rolling distros even if some people says no, they have many problems after some time
    Well yes you get HWE after 6/12 months (you have to manually enable them though if you install an LTS on the first release and many uses are not aware) , but the point here is that 5.15 is now old and missing many features (many that help AMD CPU and Ryzen users ) , other distros (even ones based on Ubuntu) give you the latest (or at least the option to..) .

As well as making AMD users CPUs not perform as well (by sticking with 5.15, which may make some windows users who try Ubuntu as their first time trying Linux think that Linux is slower than it should be..) Also anyone who plays any games with Proton (i.e the majority of games on Steam) will be missing out on FUTEX2’s sys_futex_waitv() system call that was added to kernel 5.16.

If you buy a brand new laptop there is a chance some hardware will not work out of the box with older kernels also. Really a good desktop distro should have latest kernel/mesa otherwise IMO.

This article also shows the same thing ...
    Last edited by yossarianuk; 14 April 2022, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Except not everyone will want to suffer from the high probability of breakages in rolling release distros. Imo, of all distros, Fedora has the best balance of up to date packages and stability.
      When I got my shiny new 3700x back in 2019 (I think), OpenSUSE Tumbleweed was the only distro that worked on the machine.
      I usually use Ubuntu LTS releases because I like stability. These days I don't want to compile and patch kernels and things anymore. It must just work.
      If there are some performance left on the table, so be it.

However, I stuck with OpenSUSE Tumbleweed on that machine and so far it has never broke after any of the updates.
      On the negative side: It does feel slower than other dstro's. Especially when booting up. (Solus felt very snappy on this machine)
      The huge amount of updates is also something that I am not very fond of.

It beats me how people can manage to break Ubuntu to the point where they have to restore from backups ...
      Only update issues I ever had with Ubuntu (been using it for 12+ years) was related to nVidia drivers. For that reason, I would never buy a laptop with discrete GPU ever again.
      Last edited by Raka555; 14 April 2022, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Nothing new. Ubuntu server spin powdered to look like a desktop distribution. And it's not only about the Kernel, but its config as well.

Comment

Except not everyone will want to suffer from the high probability of breakages in rolling release distros. Imo, of all distros, Fedora has the best balance of up to date packages and stability.
          You're the first one ever who complains about openSUSE Tumbleweed. No one has ever complained before about it breaking.

Comment

IMO it's good Ubuntu is using a LTS kernel by default... there are HWE and mainline builds for those wanting them;

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

You're the first one ever who complains about openSUSE Tumbleweed. No one has ever complained before about it breaking.
              I didn't complain about Tumbleweed specifically. In fact, I think it's actually the best one out of all rolling release distros. Especially miles better than all the Arch based ones (This may sound unpopular, but I have a low opinion about Arch based distros and Arch itself).

Comment

That's fair, but different people might have different experiences, depending on what packages they use, their hardware, etc. Also, I didn't mean breakage in a sense of distro not booting after an update, but also in a sense of a package/app starting to have issues/buggy behavior after an update.
                Obviously I pointed out my experience with my hardware, in many cases I am the first to recommend an LTS.
                This is to say that there is no best method for everyone, it depends on various factors.
                For applications, I tend to use flatpak, especially for complex applications with many dependencies, with flatpak you will never have interruptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Maybe in this article's comments. There are definitely people that complain about Tumbleweed breakage otherwise. I've tried it myself and the Zen system I tried it on failed to even finish booting the kernel. No, it doesn't have Nvidia hardware. I've tried it on other systems as well, and while it does boot, it often has paper cut bugs that make it unusable to me.

Just because the limited audience here doesn't have an issue with a certain distro doesn't mean there's no one at all with issues with rolling distributions like Tumbleweed. Stop thinking "Works on my system" means it works everywhere for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Maybe in this article's comments. There are definitely people that complain about Tumbleweed breakage otherwise. I've tried it myself and the Zen system I tried it on failed to even finish booting the kernel. No, it doesn't have Nvidia hardware. I've tried it on other systems as well, and while it does boot, it often has paper cut bugs that make it unusable to me.

Just because the limited audience here doesn't have an issue with a certain distro doesn't mean there's no one at all with issues with rolling distributions like Tumbleweed. Stop thinking "Works on my system" means it works everywhere for everyone.
                    Apart from the fact that Tumbleweed was mentioned at the beginning just to say use a rolling distro instead of an Lts if you want to get the latest kernel ... the sense I guess that was it.
                    Each hardware is different and the installs sometimes need additional parameters on certain hardware and this can vary from distribution to distribution depending on the hardware.
                    Obviously if you have a recent pc and the drivers for that video card are present only on the latest kernel it is obvious that it will only work on the distribution that ships the latest kernel.
                    Whether it's Tumbleweed, Leap, Arch or Ubuntu the kernel is always Linux and the support is the same for the same kernel version.

After that problems and breaks can happen on all distributions, but Tumbleweed has a rollback system that allows you to cancel an update and which I think all distributions should have, especially those defined as more user friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                      so if stability means fewer bugs, this is false.
                      No, when talking about distro stability, we're referring to lack of major changes, meaning a stable relationship between packages. Rolling distros can be very high quality, but if you have a lot of dependencies, like a website might have, for instance, then you don't necessarily want improvements to break your system because the improvements cause incompatibility between packages.

Comment

Working...
                      X