Intel Announces €33 Billion Investment In The EU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

What do you mean they're not building them in the US?
    Chip maker Intel said it will invest $20 billion to build a new factory in Ohio, an attempt to help alleviate a global shortage of chips powering everything from phones to cars to home appliances while also signaling the giant company's commitment to manufacturing crucial technology products in the U.S.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/23/inte...n-arizona.html
    I didn't say they don't build anything in the US, I said why build a lot in the EU (Not that I care, I'm not from the US)

Comment

Originally posted by briceio View Post

We had democracy in Europe way before the US... in fact this is the Treaty of Paris of 1783 which initiated the first US Constitution of 1787. And don't forget Europeans are ancestors of Americans, so we kinda link our democracy as you guys do :]
      It's not about democracy, it's about balance of power - when it changes enough relationships change as well. Democracy is the fairly tales governments tell the masses.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        And why is Intel not building them in the US? I think this wouldn't happen under Trump. Didn't China teach the US a lesson that you shouldn't invest giant sums of money into hi-tech into foreign countries? Because today's relations are one thing and 15 years from now they might be totally different.
        Except they are building them in the US. They are spending tens of billions on fabs in Arizona, and spending $20 billion to build 2 fabs in Ohio (which was mentioned in the article and happens to be the state I live in so I'm happy about their decision. They also have room and such to build up to 6 more fabs in their location here). They are building in Europe too because one thing many have learned from the pandemic is that diversifying supply lines may be more expensive but is also a necessity to survive in the long term.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanetVaster View Post
          diversifying supply lines may be more expensive but is also a necessity to survive in the long term.
          And how does having fabs in Ohio prevent the EU from receiving products during a pandemic?

Comment

And how does having fabs in Ohio prevent the EU from receiving products during a pandemic?
            Hmmm, it's almost like international shipping ground to a near halt or something. Hint: Increased shipping times and costs = fewer products being imported from elsewhere (and those that are will cost more), it's simple math and economics. Manufacturing locally fixes that by avoiding the need to ship internationally altogether (not to mention, more manufacturing means more chips for everyone and less reliance on Taiwan and China). I'm American and support manufacturing locally, but I also understand the need to have local manufacturing in other countries outside of Asia as well.

Comment

Someone else already said it:
              Manufacturing high-end chips is not the same as producing toilet paper. You need highly specialized supply-chains. Many of the high-end-components needed for the fabs (lasers, wavers etc) are developed and build in Europe.

Available employees are a factor as well: Both USA and Europe have great universities but you need highly specific education and knowledge. Cost of living is a factor as well: Rent in Mageburg is about 7€ per squaremeter (heating etc. excluded) which is probably alot lower than in most US-cities.

Comment

it's about balance of power - when it changes enough relationships change as well.
                If the world is like that, you will live in the world of nuclear threats between nuclear superpowers until the end of your days. If the world is about the values and about humanity, we can strive for better world without nuclear weapons. World is not about threats and power in the first place, yet you have to use power sometimes to enforce justice.

Comment

Originally posted by PCJohn View Post

If the world is like that, you will live in the world of nuclear threats between nuclear superpowers until the end of your days. If the world is about the values and about humanity, we can strive for better world without nuclear weapons. World is not about threats and power in the first place, yet you have to use power sometimes to enforce justice.
                  You're too naive to be worth a larger reply.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanetVaster View Post

Hmmm, it's almost like international shipping ground to a near halt or something. Hint: Increased shipping times and costs = fewer products being imported from elsewhere (and those that are will cost more), it's simple math and economics. Manufacturing locally fixes that by avoiding the need to ship internationally altogether (not to mention, more manufacturing means more chips for everyone and less reliance on Taiwan and China). I'm American and support manufacturing locally, but I also understand the need to have local manufacturing in other countries outside of Asia as well.
                    Since when is any of this a problem for Taiwan, and I'm not seeing ASML opening fabs all over the planet to "reduce shipping times and costs".

I get it you're trying to justify what's going on, mostly people act like this, but I'm not trying that as I'm not biased.

Comment

You're too naive to be worth a larger reply.
                      Seems you does not know all the sides of the world and never lived under persecution. My family was!
                      Seems you never left your country, I visited 3rd world to volunteer there. I perfectly accept your view that I am naive in your eyes!

Comment

Working...
                      X