Intel's i965 Mesa Classic OpenGL Driver Will Stick Around A Bit Longer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's i965 Mesa Classic OpenGL Driver Will Stick Around A Bit Longer

Phoronix: Intel's i965 Mesa Classic OpenGL Driver Will Stick Around A Bit Longer

Earlier this year was talk of finally retiring the Intel "i965" Mesa classic OpenGL driver along with the rest of the "classic Mesa" driver code now that it's been replaced by the Crocus Gallium3D driver and the other open-source Mesa OpenGL divers all using the modern Gallium3D architecture. Those plans are still on but shifting now into 2022...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Crocus has been workin all ok for me with Ivy Bridge HD 4000. Seems reasonable

Comment

I've been a bit slow following this. Is Crocus default already for pre-Broadwell hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
        I've been a bit slow following this. Is Crocus default already for pre-Broadwell hardware?
        It seems only on fedora so far.

Comment

I heard a while back that there was some issues with running newer Mesa+Iris on older kernels or something like that, which Flatpak can end up doing since they ship their own copy of Mesa (more details here), hopefully that won't be an issue anymore when i965 finally gets removed.

Comment

No problem on Phoronix as everyone still has this kind of hardware.

Comment

I hope they can fix some of the lingering bugs with crocus before they fully remove i965. There are still many WebGL demos that crash the driver, particularly on older platforms (gen4/45). Also, Gallium Nine is still broken after many months.

Comment

Originally posted by Angelo Geulin View Post
                I hope they can fix some of the lingering bugs with crocus before they fully remove i965. There are still many WebGL demos that crash the driver, particularly on older platforms (gen4/45). Also, Gallium Nine is still broken after many months.
                Gallium nine isn't supported at all on i965 so that's not a reason to not switch.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Gallium nine isn't supported at all on i965 so that's not a reason to not switch.
                  Certainly, it isn't. I'm already using crocus for a while now, despite the Gallium Nine support being broken.

But likewise, it would be nice if they could get things like these ironed out before shipping as default.

Comment

How can you tell if Crocus is being used by default? Is that still the case as of Fedora 37 on Intel Gen5 for example?

Doing vainfo still returns i965 as the used driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X