Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Workstation 33 Performing Very Well - Runs Past Clear Linux On Intel Tiger Lake Notebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
    Ultimately, I am sure Dell knows what sells, and builds to that market. That some people may over or under buy is not Dell's problem.
    I would expect nothing less, Dell's goal is only to maximize profit. The consumer often times has no idea what they want, and buys based on what the vendor recommends. From a practical and technology perspective however, these choices are often times pointless and/or foolish.... enter my criticisms.
    Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
    Because everywhere the owner goes they can plug into a larger monitor, so it is really about the portability of the laptop, and watching videos of cats while on the train?
    Exactly, making the 13" 4k display even more pointless. Nothing wrong with a 13" laptop mind you, I appreciate the portability. But paying extra for a 4k screen that you don't even use, b/c external monitors are everywhere? Now that's comedy right there.

Not that I care either way, but it gives me something to poke fun of!
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 29 December 2020, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Intrigued by the Wireguard test results. Why so much difference between something like Manjaro and Fedora? Manjaro runs the latest kernel compared to Fedora too. I run a Manjaro machine that I use as a wireguard server to help me VPN back to my home network from my phone and want to now see if installing Fedora on it will give me a better speed and performance.

Comment

What makes these results even more interesting is the fact that F33 came dead last in a very similar test run on a 5900X just a few days ago. I suspect that F33 has some custom patches applied that allow it to handle DPTF properly.

Comment

Wish you had included OpenSUSE too.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
            What makes these results even more interesting is the fact that F33 came dead last in a very similar test run on a 5900X just a few days ago. I suspect that F33 has some custom patches applied that allow it to handle DPTF properly.
            Can you refer us to that test?

Comment

Originally posted by DJViking View Post

Can you refer us to that test?
              Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
                Not an inch to compare desktop high end to a thermal strangled notebook, should tell you the systems have different constraints thus gonna show wildly different behavior.
                But after all, it seems to match my experience that fedora is prime for notebooks.

Comment

I would love to see similar benchmarks with F33 on newly supported Lenovo laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by Ub42 View Post
                    I would love to see similar benchmarks with F33 on newly supported Lenovo laptops.
                    Unfortunately Lenovo never sends me out review samples so that is why there aren't such tests here.... So readers can encourage Lenovo that they would like to see Linux reviews of their products on Phoronix.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by _ONH_ View Post

Not an inch to compare desktop high end to a thermal strangled notebook, should tell you the systems have different constraints thus gonna show wildly different behavior.
                      That doesn't really matter when one is concerned about relative performance difference between distros. The results strongly suggest that F33 is doing something different about power management here. It'd be very interesting to see CPU clocks and power consumption too.

Comment

Working...
                      X